Question Has anyone ever had their computer shutdown by simply plugging in any usb portable drive?

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
I had a nmve ssd to usb adapter that went bad a few days later so I'm pretty sure that was the problem. However this was with win 11 and the drive seemed ok in another machine with win 10. The drive caused the win 11 machine to shut down the day before but the drive was still working in the win 10 machine. So I tried it again in the win11 machine while it was off and it wouldn't boot. Then tried it again on the win 10 machine and it was dead. The usb stuff all works fine on the win 11 machine before and after this problem but I've never seen this before. Any other stories to share from others. Am I alone on this deal, have to admit, it is strange.

I had a nmve ssd to usb adapter that went bad a few days later so I'm pretty sure that was the problem. However this was with win 11 and the drive seemed ok in another machine with win 10. The drive caused the win 11 machine to shut down the day before but the drive was still working in the win 10 machine. So I tried it again in the win11 machine while it was off and it wouldn't boot. Then tried it again on the win 10 machine and it was dead. The usb stuff all works fine on the win 11 machine before and after this problem but I've never seen this before. Any other stories to share from others. Am I alone on this deal, have to admit, it is strange.
Yes, many times. Even a quick short on (while inserting device) in USB port can and should shut whole PC down to prevent damage. That doesn't mean that USB disk or memory device will also suffer but data corruption may occur. .

Reactions: Grobe

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
Yes, many times. Even a quick short on (while inserting device) in USB port can and should shut whole PC down to prevent damage. That doesn't mean that USB disk or memory device will also suffer but data corruption may occur. .
Ok, then it's the first time for me, its possible it was slanted or maybe the power supply pins weren't the first to connect. Who knows. Thanks

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
Thought I'd let ya know the ssd adapter died. Yet the drive has all of the data and works fine in my new adapter. The original one had a problem, I think a component like a bad cap was warming up the chipset and the chipset was marking the drive as read only. I could feel the case getting hotter every day I had it. It was already in a read only state before I plugged it in and it shut the computer down. So I didn't push it in sideways, it was probably shorting the usb rails or something, who knows.