Question Has anyone ever successfully got rid of screen scratches?

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Hi. I've got a rather annoying 5cm long scratch on my laptop's matte display... and I've read numerous articles reporting that you can use a mild abrasive like toothpaste to remove a layer of the screen's plastic in order to make the grove go away.

Wouldn't something like this result in tiny scuffs and marks?

Has anyone ever successfully done it? If so, what did you use? And how?

Thanks!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I doubt this would work at all, and would likely make it worse.

The concept is similar to "buffing" out scratches in paint, blending it in.... but the material is completely different.
You'd damage more of the matte display in attempting.

I've heard of a petroleum jelly type 'fix', which aims to fill in the gap to lessen how obvious it is, but don't have any direct experience attempting it.

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
I saw the jelly too. A guide suggested to rub toothpaste in circular motion, wipe with a cloth clean and dry... then apply some of that jelly using cotton buds. I'm tempted to try but I don't exactly wish to make the screen worse. It might have that scratch but its otherwise perfect.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
There are certain brands of mild abrasive paste they use for polishing polycarbonate watch crystals, though they might not actually be much better than toothpaste.

Do you have anything to try it on first? An old plastic touchscreen phone or your previous laptop, perhaps?