Has anyone gotten their OS Disk from Dell recently?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

"Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote
> Has anyone gotten their OS Disk from Dell recently?

yes, about a month ago through their chat support interface. i was polite
and firm. i told them the facts. i told them i wanted the OS cd.

there were no arguements. i simply had to explain to the rep what i wanted.
it took about five, maybe ten, minutes. the rep was from india and the chat
was halting, but i was able to get what i wanted. they promised delivery of
the cd in 5-7 days. i received it in three days via airborne.

they will ask for your account and order information; and they asked for my
credit card info, but they don't actually charge it. i assume they use the
card info to verify identity.

Is there a way to make the purchase on the condition that a disk will be
supplied?

--
C and A Bredt
"chopper" <chopper@chopper.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> get
>> a feel for her attitude while I had her on the line first. She answered
>> my
>> questions - poorly I might add. I then *hit* her with the primary
> question.
>> I said that I was told by another supervisor to call tech support to
> request
>> the disk. She started to tell me about the restore utility. I said that I
>> was aware of the utility but in the event that the drive needed to be
>> replaced that the restore disk was useless. She checked with her
> supervisor
>> and I am waiting for her to call back with the service request numbers.
>>
>> She just called back to confirm our mailing address. While on the phone,
> she
>> asked me if I had the driver CD. I said no and she offered to send that
> too.
>> I guess we just have to know to ask for the disks. I now have 4 dispatch
>> numbers to receive 2 OS and 2 Driver CDs for our laptops.
>>
>> "joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm going through that exact same thing right now. I emailed tech
> support.
>> > The first response was not at all related to what I asked for. I
>> > replied
>> > and asked if anyone else wanted to give this request a shot. The next
>> > email said they will send the OS disk to me. We will see.
>> >
>> > Here's a brief synopsis of the emails if interested:
>> >
>> > ***************
>> > Problem Description:
>> >
>> > I did not receive an OS CD with my latest purchase as I have with past
>> > orders.
>> >
>> > Since this machine is one which will be used by various people for
>> > fundraising purposes we will be formatting and re-installing the OS
>> > quarterly. Please supply the Operating System CD.
>> >
>> > ***************
>> >
>> > Thank you for contact Dell Technical Support. We look forward to
>> > working
>> > with you to resolve your technical issue.
>> >
>> > I understand the issue that you must be experiencing with the
>> > operating system CD.
>> >
>> > For information on this please refer to the attachment that I wish to
>> > forward to you.
>> >
>> > Thank you for contacting Dell.
>> >
>> > Respectfully,
>> > Neeraj
>> > Dell Rep # DD5135
>> >
>> > THE ATTACHMENT EXPLAINED HOW TO RESET THE DRIVERS
>> >
>> > ***************
>> >
>> > Original Message Follows:
>> > ------------------------
>> > Does anyone else want to take a shot at this?
>> >
>> > ****************
>> >
>> > Thank you for contacting Dell Technical Support.
>> >
>> > I apologize for the problems you have encountered with your Dell
>> > system.
>> > We appreciate the opportunity to work with you to resolve the
>> > situation.
>> >

>> > I have submitted a request to ship the necessary replacement CD to you

Yes. Call then instead of ordering on the web. If they won't send the CD,
don't buy.

smh wrote:

> Notan wrote:
> > smh wrote:

> > > There's no difference in my experience.

> > > Not true anymore.
> >
> > Maybe you're just not very experienced! <g>
> >
> > Take a look at:
> >
> http://catalog.us.dell.com/CS1/cs1page2.aspx?br=6&c=us&cs=04&fm=11048&kc=6W463&l=en&s=bsd
> >
> > Under "Operating System," you've got a choice of:
> > "Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional SP2 with media" or
> > "Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional SP2 without media"
>
> For Dimension:
> http://tinyurl.com/aom7y
>
> Operating System
> Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
> Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional [add $79 or $2/month1] Dell
> Recommended

Well, apparently, they're now giving the option of purchasing media,
not based on division purchase, but on the individual product lines,
i.e., Optiplex and Workstations.

And the beat goes on...

Notan

Notan wrote:
> smh wrote:
> >
> > Notan wrote:

> > > Maybe you're just not very experienced! <g>
> > >
> > > Take a look at:
http://catalog.us.dell.com/CS1/cs1page2.aspx?br=6&c=us&cs=04&fm=11048&kc=6W463&l=en&s=bsd

> > > Under "Operating System," you've got a choice of:
> > > "Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional SP2 with media" or
> > > "Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional SP2 without media"
> >
> > For Dimension:
> > http://tinyurl.com/aom7y
> >
> > Operating System
> > Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
> > Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional [add $79 or $2/month1] Dell Recommended
>
> Well, apparently, they're now giving the option of purchasing media,

There is no option to purchase media.

> not based on division purchase, but on the individual product lines,
> i.e., Optiplex and Workstations.
>
> And the beat goes on...

Response to this one?

Anyway, whatever happened to the arguments that not including the OS
CD
was dictated by Microsoft, and that it's now industry "standard"?

chopper

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004

> smh wrote:
> >
> > Notan wrote:

Small business

Business
CD.

> > > Maybe you're just not very experienced! <g>
> > >
> > > Take a look at:

http://catalog.us.dell.com/CS1/cs1page2.aspx?br=6&c=us&cs=04&fm=11048&kc=6W463&l=en&s=bsd

> > > Under "Operating System," you've got a choice of:
> > > "Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional SP2 with media" or
> > > "Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional SP2 without media"
> >
> > For Dimension:
> > http://tinyurl.com/aom7y
> >
> > Operating System
> > Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
> > Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional [add $79 or $2/month1] Dell
> > Recommended
>
> Well, apparently, they're now giving the option of purchasing media,
> not based on division purchase, but on the individual product lines,
> i.e., Optiplex and Workstations.
>
> And the beat goes on...
>
> Notan

Purchasing? I didn't see any cost associated with the "with media" option.
Of course, it's because YOU ALREADY PAID FOR IT!

chopper

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004

"Wortenheimer" <worten@heimer.com> wrote in message
> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote
> > Has anyone gotten their OS Disk from Dell recently?
>

> yes, about a month ago through their chat support interface. i was polite
> and firm. i told them the facts. i told them i wanted the OS cd.
>
> there were no arguements. i simply had to explain to the rep what i
wanted.
> it took about five, maybe ten, minutes. the rep was from india and the
chat
> was halting, but i was able to get what i wanted. they promised delivery
of
> the cd in 5-7 days. i received it in three days via airborne.
>
> they will ask for your account and order information; and they asked for
my
> credit card info, but they don't actually charge it. i assume they use
the
> card info to verify identity.

how ironic they ask for cc info to keep from keeping ripped off while they
are ripping off their customers by not providing the OS cd the buyer paid
for.

laura

"Wortenheimer" <worten@heimer.com> wrote in message
> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote
>> Has anyone gotten their OS Disk from Dell recently?
>

> yes, about a month ago through their chat support interface. i was polite
> and firm. i told them the facts. i told them i wanted the OS cd.
>
> there were no arguements. i simply had to explain to the rep what i
> wanted. it took about five, maybe ten, minutes. the rep was from india
> and the chat was halting, but i was able to get what i wanted. they
> promised delivery of the cd in 5-7 days. i received it in three days via
> airborne.
>
> they will ask for your account and order information; and they asked for
> my credit card info, but they don't actually charge it. i assume they use
> the card info to verify identity.

I could not get the chat to work so I called them on the phone instead. The
tech support gal did not ask for my credit card number only verification of
our account with Dell. Maybe because we are a preferred customer and have an
account with them that they did not need the cc info.

Cathy De Viney wrote:

> Maybe they send a disc if the computer doesn't have a CD-RW, and just gives
> the option to create your own, if it doesn't come with a CD-RW?

Don't think that's it - my Dim 8400 came with both CD & DVD burners and
I got a full set of CD (inc. XP SP2).

Notan wrote:

> smh wrote:
>
>>Notan wrote:

>>>Maybe you're just not very experienced! <g>
>>>
>>>Take a look at:
>>>

>>http://catalog.us.dell.com/CS1/cs1page2.aspx?br=6&c=us&cs=04&fm=11048&kc=6W463&l=en&s=bsd
>>
>>>Under "Operating System," you've got a choice of:
>>>"Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional SP2 with media" or
>>>"Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional SP2 without media"
>>
>>For Dimension:
>>http://tinyurl.com/aom7y
>>
>>Operating System
>>Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
>>Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional [add $79 or $2/month1] Dell
>>Recommended
>

> Well, apparently, they're now giving the option of purchasing media,
> not based on division purchase, but on the individual product lines,
> i.e., Optiplex and Workstations.

Available on the Home site?

Microsoft has given Dell and the other OEMs several choices.
Dell could:
Provide retail CD...probably most expensive for Dell and buyer, support can
be more expensive.
Provide Generic OEM CD...a little less expensive, support can add up.
Recovery CDs...cheaper and less support cost since many support options are
simply reduced to destructive recovery.
Recovery partition with no CD, cheapest with support as similar to above.
Microsoft has not dictated to anyone which to chose.
Consumers largely want the computer for the cheapest possible so the 50
cents CD is very relevant.
Dell has CHOSEN to not provide CD on behalf of their customers.

The choice is Dells and the consumers...or would you have Microsoft dictate
exactly how restoration is possible?
Those critical of Microsoft would have a field day with that control.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

> While Dell might be to blame for a number of problems,
> don't kid yourself. Microsoft has *everything* to say
> about how their OS is distributed.
>
> Notan

David

Laura wrote:
>It does not seem to be consistant. I found a SB Dimension:
>http://configure.us.dell.com/d­ellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=0­4&kc=6W30...

>that does not give you the choice

As it has been said before,
your are only given the choice
on systems ABOVE dimension/inspiron.
Look at any optiplex..latitude..etc and you will see this option.
Dave

Sparky Spartacus wrote:

> Notan wrote:
>
> > Well, apparently, they're now giving the option of purchasing media,
> > not based on division purchase, but on the individual product lines,
> > i.e., Optiplex and Workstations.
>
> Available on the Home site?

Not that I can find.

In the past, I thought that *all* systems, sold through the Small Business
division, had special options, but this doesn't appear to be true.

Notan

smh wrote:

> <snip>

I posted a URL, indicating that Dell is giving Small Business
purchasers the option of receiving an OS CD.

You responded with, "Not true anymore."

Yes it is.

What do you expect me to say, other than "You're not paying
attention?"

Notan

> So this is all Microsoft's fault huh? Where was this reported in the
> press?
>
> Or this just another Dell tactic to make millions more while sticking it
> their customers? Dell makes Dell policy! Microsoft does not dictate Dell
> policy. Wake the hell up dummies!

While I am sure Dell made this policy as a cost cutting measure, do not
under estimate the control MS has and very well could have possibly made
such a decision (though again I doubt it in this case).

> Stop blaming Microsoft. Bill Gates is a good guy. He contributes
> billions
> of dollars to good causes. Most people that say bad stuff about him are
> just jealous losers.

Donating 1+ billion a year does not make you a 'good guy'.
Most people that say bad stuff about him dislike his business practices (and
justly so) and some probably feel that being worth 60+ Billion, he could do
much more on the social side and never miss it.

Then there are those that think money and power are the important things in
life and of course they worship him!

chopper

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004

"PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message

> "chopper" <chopper@chopper.com> wrote in message
> > So this is all Microsoft's fault huh? Where was this reported in the
> > press?
> >
> > Or this just another Dell tactic to make millions more while sticking it
> > their customers? Dell makes Dell policy! Microsoft does not dictate
Dell
> > policy. Wake the hell up dummies!
> >

> While I am sure Dell made this policy as a cost cutting measure, do not
> under estimate the control MS has and very well could have possibly made
> such a decision (though again I doubt it in this case).
>
> > Stop blaming Microsoft. Bill Gates is a good guy. He contributes
> > billions
> > of dollars to good causes. Most people that say bad stuff about him are
> > just jealous losers.
> >

> Donating 1+ billion a year does not make you a 'good guy'.
> Most people that say bad stuff about him dislike his business practices
(and
> justly so) and some probably feel that being worth 60+ Billion, he could
do
> much more on the social side and never miss it.
>
> Then there are those that think money and power are the important things
in
> life and of course they worship him!

Being at the top, and being at the top for so long, by so much, has made
Microsoft and Bill Gates the target of many. Some of the reasons are
legitimate andd they deserve to be criticized. Many are not and are driven
by competitors and jealous people. It is the tendency of people to demonize
the opposition or top dog. The fact is, you don't get to be top dog by
being a pansy pushover. It takes drive and determination. Many people
don't like that but it is what makes companies, and people, successful.

It pisses me off when Microsoft and Bill Gates get blamed for something like
this that is purely a Dell decision. People let their grudges and bias
affect their common sense and judgement. It's rather unbelieveable how many
out there fall prey to this disease.

laura

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=dim24min&s=bsd

Laura wrote:

> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> > smh wrote:
> >>
> >> <snip>
> >
> > I posted a URL, indicating that Dell is giving Small Business
> > purchasers the option of receiving an OS CD.
> >
> > You responded with, "Not true anymore."
> >
> > Yes it is.
> >
> > What do you expect me to say, other than "You're not paying
> > attention?"
>
> It does not seem to be consistant. I found a SB Dimension:
> http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=dim24min&s=bsd
>
> that does not give you the choice.

And *that's* why I posted:

Notan wrote:

> Laura wrote:
> >
> > "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message

> > > I posted a URL, indicating that Dell is giving Small Business
> > > purchasers the option of receiving an OS CD.
> > >
> > > You responded with, "Not true anymore."
> > >
> > > Yes it is.
> > >
> > > What do you expect me to say, other than "You're not paying
> > > attention?"
> >
> > It does not seem to be consistant. I found a SB Dimension:
> > http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=dim24min&s=bsd
> >
> > that does not give you the choice.
>
> And *that's* why I posted:
>
> "Well, apparently, they're now giving the option of purchasing media,
> not based on division purchase, but on the individual product lines,
> i.e., Optiplex and Workstations."

By the way, my use of the word "purchasing" may be incorrect. I don't
know, for a fact, that requesting/receiving the media will cost any
more than not requesting/receiving it.

Notan

Notan wrote:

> Laura wrote:
> >
> > "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message

> > > I posted a URL, indicating that Dell is giving Small Business
> > > purchasers the option of receiving an OS CD.
> > >
> > > You responded with, "Not true anymore."
> > >
> > > Yes it is.
> > >
> > > What do you expect me to say, other than "You're not paying
> > > attention?"
> >
> > It does not seem to be consistant. I found a SB Dimension:
> > http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=dim24min&s=bsd
> >
> > that does not give you the choice.
>
> And *that's* why I posted:
>
> "Well, apparently, they're now giving the option of purchasing media,
> not based on division purchase, but on the individual product lines,
> i.e., Optiplex and Workstations."

Oh, yeah... And as David pointed out, the Latitude line.

Notan

laura

> Notan wrote:
>>
>> Laura wrote:
>> >
>> > "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message

>> > It does not seem to be consistant. I found a SB Dimension:
>> > http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=dim24min&s=bsd
>> >
>> > that does not give you the choice.
>>
>> And *that's* why I posted:
>>
>> "Well, apparently, they're now giving the option of purchasing media,
>> not based on division purchase, but on the individual product lines,
>> i.e., Optiplex and Workstations."
>
> Oh, yeah... And as David pointed out, the Latitude line.

All on the Small Business side. Nothing on the Home side of the fence.

chopper wrote:

> Hey Ganesh, go take a hike! I see no rules around here that we have to like
> indians and the fact that dell shipped thousands of American jobs overseas.
> Speaking of trolls, I think you're a mindless troll. Go troll the
> alt.iluvindians ng!

Another Hooplehead heard from!

chopper wrote:

<snip>

> OK, back to Computer 101.
>
> A computer is a piece of plastic, metal and silicon without the OS. When
> you buy a computer, you require the OS in order to allow the system to do
> what you need it to do via software. The OS is every bit as important as
> the hardware and I would argue more important.

Right, I'm guessing you're not a professor of computer science at MIT.
Whatever would you do with an OS absent RAM or a HDD?

chopper

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004

"Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message
> chopper wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > OK, back to Computer 101.
> >
> > A computer is a piece of plastic, metal and silicon without the OS.
When
> > you buy a computer, you require the OS in order to allow the system to
do
> > what you need it to do via software. The OS is every bit as important
as
> > the hardware and I would argue more important.
>
> Right, I'm guessing you're not a professor of computer science at MIT.
> Whatever would you do with an OS absent RAM or a HDD?

oh, oh, and what about the power supply and all those wires? And that ON
button, without that there is no life right?

All mMindless pieces of metal, silicon and plastic. The software provides
the brains of the operation. Geesh, can't you go out and buy one of those
Computers for Dummies books PLEASE!

Oh... and don't forget the energy provided by the electricity. DAMN!
There's another cost savings potential for Dell! That is an Electrical
Distribution System Interface Cable! Why you should be getting that from
your electric company and not Dell. And heck, printers don't come with data
cables so there is precedence here. Hot damn, I could get a job at Dell and
make them bazillions of dollars screwin' you dell luvin' dorks!

TRENDING THREADS