Has anyone gotten their OS Disk from Dell recently?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chopper wrote:
> "Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message
>
>>chopper wrote:
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>>OK, back to Computer 101.
>>>
>>>A computer is a piece of plastic, metal and silicon without the OS.
>
> When
>
>>>you buy a computer, you require the OS in order to allow the system to
>
> do
>
>>>what you need it to do via software. The OS is every bit as important
>
> as
>
>>>the hardware and I would argue more important.
>>
>>Right, I'm guessing you're not a professor of computer science at MIT.
>>Whatever would you do with an OS absent RAM or a HDD?
>
> oh, oh, and what about the power supply and all those wires? And that ON
> button, without that there is no life right?
>
> All mMindless pieces of metal, silicon and plastic. The software provides
> the brains of the operation. Geesh, can't you go out and buy one of those
> Computers for Dummies books PLEASE!

Why, is your picture on the cover?

> Oh... and don't forget the energy provided by the electricity. DAMN!

You forgot the most important part, the finger to press the ON button. I
have a finger for you.

So what *would* you do with an OS absent RAM or a HDD, hm?

> There's another cost savings potential for Dell! That is an Electrical
> Distribution System Interface Cable! Why you should be getting that from
> your electric company and not Dell. And heck, printers don't come with data
> cables so there is precedence here. Hot damn, I could get a job at Dell and
> make them bazillions of dollars screwin' you dell luvin' dorks!

Thanks for confirming your status as a Twatwaffle First Class!

:)

Hi!

> As I feared...you are no better than a troll.

Now why do you say that?

Laura gave what I thought was a pretty decent explanation...hardly grounds
for calling her a troll!

That said, I too checked the option for "no ISP" when I ordered my Dimension
8300 and Latitude D800. Both times the setup programs were still included. I
guess this is viewed as a "last chance" kind of thing in case the buyer of
the computer has a change of heart.

With the Dimension I got a full set of recovery CDs, including a stand-alone
Windows XP disc. I seem to remember that my Latitude came the same way. What
it does I don't know, but at order time there is an option for "with media"
or "without media". I would assume that "without media" gets you just the
hard-disk based restore, whereas "with media" gets you at least an OS disc.

None of this mattered much. I later blew the contents of both machines away
and loaded two retail-purchased copies of Windows 2000 Professional on them.
I don't do XP and I would just as soon make my own decisions about what is
installed with the system.

Dell seems to have different ways of doing the restoration process depending
upon your system too. Not all that long ago I had a lower end Dimension in
here for service that had two (!) different kinds of discs. One set was the
"classic" offering of a Windows XP disc along with a resource CD and a few
others. The other was a set of four discs that did a true factory clean and
destructive restoration.

I'd have to say that I've fought many a battle with tech support people in
India. Now, don't get me wrong here. I have nothing against the Indian
people. But I do have a terrible time understanding what they say and more
than once I've talked to some who were rather rude.

William

"William R. Walsh" <newsgroups1@saveyourspam.walshcomptech.com> wrote in
message news:dzzbe.17654$WI3.7002@attbi_s71...
<snip>
> Dell seems to have different ways of doing the restoration process
> depending
> upon your system too. Not all that long ago I had a lower end Dimension in
> here for service that had two (!) different kinds of discs. One set was
> the
> "classic" offering of a Windows XP disc along with a resource CD and a few
> others. The other was a set of four discs that did a true factory clean
> and
> destructive restoration.
>
> I'd have to say that I've fought many a battle with tech support people in
> India. Now, don't get me wrong here. I have nothing against the Indian
> people. But I do have a terrible time understanding what they say and more
> than once I've talked to some who were rather rude.
>
> William

What model Dimension? I've been on this newsgroup for years and owned a lot
of Dimensions and NEVER seen or heard of a Dimension with restore image
disks. Are you sure they were not made by the owner?

Tom