[SOLVED] Has anyone had an overclocking experience like this?

Nov 28, 2018
I'll be getting a 9700k soon so I'm refreshing my limited knowledge. My first and to date only overclock is on my current Ivy Bridge 3570k to a measly 4.3ghz ( I had 4.4ghz but wasn't worth higher temps) using a Zalman CNPS10X performa which is a decent cheap cooler.

What did I do? Increase clock speeds, voltage and thats it.

I went through many guides, playing around with all the settings none of them seemed to help. The more I fiddled with things, the worse stability and temps got.

Anyone else experience this?

Solution
The 212 EVO was, and still is, a decent cooler and was considered the go-to air cooler for a long time until the Cryorig H7 surpassed it, albeit at a slightly higher price.

A bronze-rated PSU from a known brand isn't indicitive of quality unfortunately. The Corsair CX series (with the green logo) was widely considered to be of poor quality. A Seasonic S12II, which is also bronze-rated, was far better and not much more expensive.

If you were content with the overclock you had then I don't see what the issue is. Unfortunately, overclocking isn't an exact science and even with exactly the same hardware, your overclock could be much worse than someone else's. Perhaps you were just unlucky?
There isn't much information to go on, so coming to any sort of conclusion is difficult. There are a huge amount of unknown factors at play here, including but not limited to:

1. The quality of the PSU.
2. The air flow within your case.
3. The VCORE you set.
4. Whether or not you disabled power-saving features.
5. Whether or not you overclocked via the BIOS.
6. The power phases of your motherboard.

Ivy Bridge was notorious for running hot when overclocked and I wouldn't call the CNPS10X a decent cooler; adequate would be more accurate.

Nov 28, 2018

What is a decent cooler for same price back when Ivy Bridge came out? reason I said decent cheap cooler is that its all relative to price . It was my first build and wasn't looking for a big overclock but absolutely everyone I knew had a sandy bridge or ivy bridge and were overclocking them when previously they had never touched overclocking.

The PSU was just a bronze rated Corsair, but should do the job. The mobo from memory is a Gigabyte UD5H that has 12 phase.

Obviously I'm a noob like many who overclock we rely on knowledge from people who know what they're doing and guides that take us through all the complicated bios setting that should help get a better overclock. But I had no luck with any of that and was content with setting a clock speed a safe voltage and monitoring the temps.

The 212 EVO was, and still is, a decent cooler and was considered the go-to air cooler for a long time until the Cryorig H7 surpassed it, albeit at a slightly higher price.

A bronze-rated PSU from a known brand isn't indicitive of quality unfortunately. The Corsair CX series (with the green logo) was widely considered to be of poor quality. A Seasonic S12II, which is also bronze-rated, was far better and not much more expensive.

If you were content with the overclock you had then I don't see what the issue is. Unfortunately, overclocking isn't an exact science and even with exactly the same hardware, your overclock could be much worse than someone else's. Perhaps you were just unlucky?

Solution