Question Has anyone had one had one component fail and destroy your entire pc? I have

Adrian Palikowski

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2013
Just curious if you’ve ever had a part go bad that caused other parts to fail. I just a week ago had my aio cooler leak onto my gpu and short both the gpu and my power supply. What sucks even more is I’ve been unemployed due to covid and I spent more than I really could helping my son build his own pc for Christmas. Curious if anyone’s had any similar stories

Lutfij

Titan
I had a PSU blow up on me, way back in 2003, that seemed like the only casualty was the PSU but over time, like a matter of months to a year, every part that was connected to the PSU, died, one by one. Since then I've made it a matter to make sure good stuff are purchased in a build, to protect all of my investments. As for the AIO, if you're under warranty for the AIO, you should contact the AIO's (third party)maker and inform them of the casualties, since they are entitled to replace all parts that were damaged due to the AIO's failure.

Adrian Palikowski

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2013
I had a PSU blow up on me, way back in 2003, that seemed like the only casualty was the PSU but over time, like a matter of months to a year, every part that was connected to the PSU, died, one by one. Since then I've made it a matter to make sure good stuff are purchased in a build, to protect all of my investments. As for the AIO, if you're under warranty for the AIO, you should contact the AIO's (third party)maker and inform them of the casualties, since they are entitled to replace all parts that were damaged due to the AIO's failure.
I checked but my aio is from 2013. Kind of my fault for not suspecting this from an older aio

Adrian Palikowski

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2013
I had a PSU die, and take the motherboard with it.
It sucks you have to upgrade parts every 3-5 years in order to save yourself from essentially having to build a new pc. I built my little one his own pc so I haven’t had to luxury of upgrading my own besides the gpu that I got a few years ago