Question Has anyone had this problem with pc go black screen and restart?

Apr 14, 2022
My pc used to be fine but after installing gpu my pc would go black screen but keyboard,mouse still on and after a while my pc just restart and everything back to normal. This happen when I try to turn on other power socket. I had UPS on too and the weird part is that turning off the UPS power cord my pc would also go black screen and restart instead of having the pc on untill UPS out of battery.
Here's the video I demonstrate (not sure why it in short):
https://youtube.com/shorts/GbU4WVvU4zQ?feature=share
The socket that I switch off and on was the laptop power cord, my pc and monitor power cord is plug into the UPS.
Spec:
Intel i5 4570
Radeon rx 580 4gb
8gb ram ddr3
psu 500watt cooler master elite v4

I just need to know why is this happening because I don't have the money to buy new psu or gpu or whatever so if you know what happening I would appreciate the info.
Thank you.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
My pc used to be fine but after installing gpu my pc would go black screen but keyboard,mouse still on and after a while my pc just restart and everything back to normal. This happen when I try to turn on other power socket. I had UPS on too and the weird part is that turning off the UPS power cord my pc would also go black screen and restart instead of having the pc on untill UPS out of battery.
Here's the video I demonstrate (not sure why it in short):
https://youtube.com/shorts/GbU4WVvU4zQ?feature=share
The socket that I switch off and on was the laptop power cord, my pc and monitor power cord is plug into the UPS.
Spec:
Intel i5 4570
Radeon rx 580 4gb
8gb ram ddr3
psu 500watt cooler master elite v4

I just need to know why is this happening because I don't have the money to buy new psu or gpu or whatever so if you know what happening I would appreciate the info.
Thank you.
That’s a terrible PSU which is probably one of the issues, especially since it started happening after upgrading the GPU. This thread also suggests against using that power supply.

I’d recommend that you don’t turn off the power like that to your computer. It’s very likely that you are going to damage some of the components. Also, please specify… what UPS do you have? If you are referring to the thing you flipped the switch on, that looked like it was just a power strip.

Apr 14, 2022
That’s a terrible PSU which is probably one of the issues, especially since it started happening after upgrading the GPU. This thread also suggests against using that power supply.

I’d recommend that you don’t turn off the power like that to your computer. It’s very likely that you are going to damage some of the components. Also, please specify… what UPS do you have? If you are referring to the thing you flipped the switch on, that looked like it was just a power strip.
My UPS is Prolink PRO1201SFC.
After some researching, yeah I found that I have a bad PSU so that's is probably why.
Thanks for the info.

Apr 14, 2022
Have you tried removing the new GPU to see if the issue persists? It will help to narrow down if it's card or power related.
I never tried removing the GPU but before when I had my GPU install I can turn on/off other socket with no problem. I was thinking it might also be GPU but after running some stress test and playing Elden Ring everything running fine but turning on other socket switch will still cause my pc to go blackout so I don't know anymore. I'll probably tried removing it at some point to see if the issues persists but as of now I think I might need to buy new good PSU after seeing how bad my PSU is.
Thanks.

Last edited: