Question Has anyone here done diy cases for minneral oil cooling?

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
This is something I am doing just for fun

So I've been looking into building a case to use minneral oil cooling. I have everything I need to fabricate plexiglass to build one for way less than they are offered online for but I have a few questions.
While I will still use the fans on my cpu, and GPU, would there be any reason at all to use my case fans to circulate the oil, or would that be a pointless endeavor? Would the cpu fan help or hurt cooling? I don't expect the fan to move much oil, but would it be more effective to have the fluid in direct contact with the cpu vs having the radiator in direct contact with the fan moving oil?
I plan on pumping the oil into a radiator that will be inside a water evaporative cooler.

Since most computer cases have you screwing the mobo into metal, should I run grounding strips from my mobo(and other stand alone components) to my psu to screw them into? I can salvage a metal rack to place drives in and ground it to my psu. I understand no movable parts or things that will break down in oil in the oil.

Any help or insight would be greatly valued.

Lutfij

Titan
For the amount of effort you're going to put into that project, you're not going to learn much apart from the project being a resource draining endeavor. Linus(from LTT) thought he was onto something amazing but in essence he admitted it was not worth the effort and as all things ... it was only done for the sake of clickbiating/YouTube content.

Read here:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/mineral-oil-q-a-links.332211/

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
Mineral oil has been done many times.
In virtually every case I've seen, it is described as "It was sort of a fun hobby, but way too much work and expense for no real benefit."

Get started here:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php
Well, I've read through this before and also follow linus tech tips on youtube. Cost isn't an issue since I can fabricate, and I understand it is a pretty pointless endeavor. Just interested in the need to ground things mostly. Unfortunately those articles don't provide anything on the matter and I can't tell if they have other methods to ground I overlooked. Or if the cables ground everything and the case is redundant.