[SOLVED] Has anyone mounted a GPU like this?

alan.campbell99

Honorable
Sep 11, 2017
I happened to be idly watching one of the videos that play while browsing a news article here, it was an MSI one I think. Looking at one of the cases a thought came to mind; has anyone ever mounted a graphics card such that it's almost fully exposed at either the front of the case or top, as a way of showing it off? So rather than seeing a bunch of case/radiator fans you see the card instead. Display cables could be interesting but I'd imagine you can get right-angled AUX power connectors?

Solution
https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=910&area=en

In "traditional" mATX/ATX tower orientations, usually the GPU would be mounted with a 90 degree adapter placing it up against the windowed side panel. Moving it to the front panel makes bringing the wires from your monitors into the case a bit challenging. Not to mention the awkward double bend that the PCIe riser cable would need to take (the riser cables are usually a form of ribbon shape)

Placing fans/GPUs too close to glass is a thermal no-no, but hey, form over function!
https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=910&area=en

In "traditional" mATX/ATX tower orientations, usually the GPU would be mounted with a 90 degree adapter placing it up against the windowed side panel. Moving it to the front panel makes bringing the wires from your monitors into the case a bit challenging. Not to mention the awkward double bend that the PCIe riser cable would need to take (the riser cables are usually a form of ribbon shape)

Placing fans/GPUs too close to glass is a thermal no-no, but hey, form over function!

Solution

alan.campbell99

Honorable
Sep 11, 2017
Oh I wasn't thinking it would be easy or practical ;) [would also have to deal with case airflow management]. What if the MB was oriented so that the PCIe slot was vertical rather than horizontal. Could probably only do that with an ITX MB with one slot.