[SOLVED] Has anyone upgraded a virtual PC into a gaming PC...many PCs & servers collecting dust would like a gaming PC

Sep 13, 2018
I was unfortunately forced to close my 20yr business recently. With the closing, I have more than 50 virtual PCs and 5 Dell PowerEdge R710 servers which I used. Of course, I had a dedicated IT team to handle all aspects. Now, all of this equipment is collecting dust...I was hoping at least one of the PCs had an i5-i7 CPU and a robust GPU but NOPE!!! I checked the servers and they all have Intel Xeon CPU's, numerous fans, ton of 1 and 2gb RAM cards and redundant 800w power supplies...the PCs are mostly HP pavilions, Compaq Preserio's and even some old Gateway and e-machine which the components were changed out...I tried to figure out if I could use the motherboards, fans, power supplies or any of the many intel i3 CPUs or any of the 1GB RAM cards..most of the storage was WD 500gb HDDs...anycase, if nothing else, using one of the cases should be a possibility shouldn't it??? Any suggestions would be appreciated...I also would be interested if there are any companies or entities who may trade with me...I simply do not have the time or expertise to sell each individual component. Thank you in advance for any guidance. Sincerely, Mr. Frustrated

Solution
You could probably make something happen with the Xeon procs you have. I would suggest selling off the majority of the equipment to free up cash in order to buy a "consumer level" mobo inside one of your existing cases. Probably be able to patch together enough RAM to be worthwhile from your stock, along with a PSU, assuming it is ATX or the like and will go in case. You will likely need to come out of pocket for an OS and some storage, but not particularly critical on the last part if you don't mind waiting on an HDD.

I would suggest taking a stock of what you have and doing some reading about what you can do to convert the better parts to a tower style case.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
You could probably make something happen with the Xeon procs you have. I would suggest selling off the majority of the equipment to free up cash in order to buy a "consumer level" mobo inside one of your existing cases. Probably be able to patch together enough RAM to be worthwhile from your stock, along with a PSU, assuming it is ATX or the like and will go in case. You will likely need to come out of pocket for an OS and some storage, but not particularly critical on the last part if you don't mind waiting on an HDD.

I would suggest taking a stock of what you have and doing some reading about what you can do to convert the better parts to a tower style case.

Solution