Question Has explosion sound every time psu swith turn on but my pc is till running like nothing happen

Jan 14, 2022
Recently i has explosion sound every time psu swith turn on (still not start pc) after turn off for a long like over night

this sound come with light in the back of my psu

what happening? my pc still running fine i can still play heavy load game but i just shut down and dont dare to use it anymore

my psu is 4 and half years old evga gq 850w gold
mobo is asus x570 prime p
and i dont have ups

**my home electricity is quit unstable some time my fan and other machine has coin wine sound pop up every 1-2 hour
could this be a problem?

pietrofonti

Commendable
Dec 4, 2019
Well, having unstable electricity with those sounds every 1-2h, I guess it might be a problem... Evenmore if the explosion comes with a flash and without turning it on to power... seems like some voltage spike, overcurrent, etc. Wtv is happening out there, I would definitely buy some UPS or some surge protector.

That PSU also seems to have 5 years warranty, so if the problem persists even connected to ups, etc, u should try RMA before it ends the warranty.

Reactions: Newbiedude
Jan 14, 2022
Well, having unstable electricity with those sounds every 1-2h, I guess it might be a problem... Evenmore if the explosion comes with a flash and without turning it on to power... seems like some voltage spike, overcurrent, etc. Wtv is happening out there, I would definitely buy some UPS or some surge protector.

That PSU also seems to have 5 years warranty, so if the problem persists even connected to ups, etc, u should try RMA before it ends the warranty.
Already contract manufacturers

It sound like POP! but it really loud

Yeah. It's probably just in-rush.

When you turn off the PC from the switch, the bulk cap eventually drains. So when you power it back up again, that bulk cap has to charge back up again before the PSU can operate normally again.

Is there a reason you're turning the PSU off every night instead of just shutting down Windows?

Also, stop using words like "explode" when something doesn't actually explode. People do this on Amazon and when they see the word, they think of an explosion like fire and shrapnel everywhere and they pull the product listing. Real pain in the ass.

Jan 14, 2022
Yeah. It's probably just in-rush.

When you turn off the PC from the switch, the bulk cap eventually drains. So when you power it back up again, that bulk cap has to charge back up again before the PSU can operate normally again.

Is there a reason you're turning the PSU off every night instead of just shutting down Windows?

Also, stop using words like "explode" when something doesn't actually explode. People do this on Amazon and when they see the word, they think of an explosion like fire and shrapnel everywhere and they pull the product listing. Real pain in the ass.

Because of my house electrict

I afraid that my pc will receive some power surge if there is still have power into it

So i shutdown, turn switch off and pull power plug out every time i dont use it

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If your house electric scares you enough to make you unplug when not in use, it should scare you enough to use a decent UPS instead for when it Is in use. Not only will it clean up and regulate the power, but also protect the psu from power surges, brown outs or complete shutdowns, which can and do affect the psu's ability to function correctly.

Granted, that psu has decent protections built in, but those should be relied upon for catastrophic emergencies, not for daily use.

Jan 14, 2022
What about Stabilizer? Could it help?

I cant afford 850w ups right now
it cost 250$++ at my country and i only get 15$ per day from my work

if it just Stabilizer i can find 800w at around 100$

Last edited:

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
you might be experiencing the same thing as me. Anyway, the popping sound was proven to be harmless. The two pc on my sig has this sound when turning on, and they both still work fine.

thread for reference.

Reactions: Newbiedude
Jan 14, 2022
you might be experiencing the same thing as me. Anyway, the popping sound was proven to be harmless. The two pc on my sig has this sound when turning on, and they both still work fine.

thread for reference.

it scared me

i never hear this sound from other psu i used

even cheap ass 850w with 60$

just this one has this POP sound

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021

I cant afford 850w ups right now
it cost 250$++ at my country and i only get 15$ per day from my work

800W or 800VA? it's not the same, 800VA is about 520W for those things and I'm being generous, you can get worse. Plus you shouldn't use one with that PSU in particular, those are made for entry level home/office computers with 230V only power supplies and only help if input voltage is about 10% lower.

My old PC did it all the time whenever I flipped the switch and it was just inrush, but if you notice a spark whenever plugging in stuff there could be a defective ground, or, if there's no ground, a defective outlet, contacts become dirty and loose after years of use, those are easy fixes but call an electrician if you don't know what you're doing.

Because of my house electrict

I afraid that my pc will receive some power surge if there is still have power into it

So i shutdown, turn switch off and pull power plug out every time i dont use it

Then buy a surge suppressor.

If your house electric scares you enough to make you unplug when not in use, it should scare you enough to use a decent UPS instead for when it Is in use. Not only will it clean up and regulate the power, but also protect the psu from power surges, brown outs or complete shutdowns, which can and do affect the psu's ability to function correctly.

No. Unless the UPS is a very expensive online UPS, the UPS is a passive device. The AVR will buck and boost the mains voltage if it deviates too far from nominal, but the PSU the OP is using can support voltages from 100V to 240V makes the AVR in the UPS useless. Unless the OP is completely losing power for periods of time, a UPS isn't a solution here.

Stabilizers are just AVRs and are only necessary when you have cheap garbage PSUs that only support high voltage mains. Just get a solid surge strip with a high joule rating and preferably a status LED. Do NOT buy a "power strip". A power strip isn't always a surge strip.

Jan 14, 2022
Thank for all answers guy,

I sent back my pau to dealer and they say it really broke, but they cant fix and will send me some money, which is just 15$ because it has 4 months left in warranty

I look on psu tier in this site and decide to bought msi mpg 850w which is quit cheap here (81$)

And will buy ups next in the future