[SOLVED] has my cpu gone bad?

Feb 22, 2020
my computer resets after playing LOL or using it for a while. At first i thought it was the power supply but i just replaced it, i disassembled my pc, cleaned it running the fans at max right now
Core temp says that it gets up to 100-98 C when I'm playing when it restarts it tries to boot up but it resets once or twice
my computer
Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 Ghz
Mother board Gigabyte z97x-Gaming 3
16 Gb Ram
GTX 960
psu EVGA 600 W
Has of now it says the temp is running around 50C but the max my pc has hit was 99C the last reset was about an hour ago.

Solution
Definitely the PC has a cooling issue. Could be the case with poor airflow possibly. Either way you might want a new power supply if it's as old as that CPU. I'm not sure why it's overheating because I can't examine the system personally. Could be a few different things causing this. Also there is a possibility that the TIM under the IHS has dried up or was generally just poorly applied. You would have to delid to fix that if that is the issue.
Feb 22, 2020
My computer randomly turns off. I've cleaned it, I've add new thermal paste on the cpu put on a third party heat sink on it but still it restarts and just put a new psu, at this point i dont know what is going on :[? before the reset were distance maybe after two hours or so, but know they are becoming more frequent now.
do any of you know a program that can diagnose the computer? thanks
P.s my computer just reset in the mid of writing the post.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020
update. I put new thermal paste on the cpu and added the third party heat sink on my cpu but my computer still resets its becoming more frequent now, my computer has reset twice within 30mins.

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
CPU's rarely crap out. Could be your video card crapping out. Try removing the video card and use the onboard video and see if you have the same issue. One of the sticks of memory could also be crapping out. If you have 2 sticks of memory, try running your computer with 1 stick of memory to see if you have the same problem.

Last edited:
Definitely the PC has a cooling issue. Could be the case with poor airflow possibly. Either way you might want a new power supply if it's as old as that CPU. I'm not sure why it's overheating because I can't examine the system personally. Could be a few different things causing this. Also there is a possibility that the TIM under the IHS has dried up or was generally just poorly applied. You would have to delid to fix that if that is the issue.

Solution