[SOLVED] Has my drive failed? Cannot reinstall Windows

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Cannot reinstall Windows 10 on Corsair MP600 NVME Gen 4:

Been using this as my OS drive since October and its been just fine, then suddenly it won't boot into Windows anymore. Very last thing I did was update my AMD graphics drivers, and after a reboot the monitor goes black then comes back many times, which is something I only expect to see while the driver is installing. After this I started having booting issues. Not sure if related or if there is a known problem with AMD graphics drivers (GPU is 5600 XT, was installing version 21.6.1).

Tried every Windows recovery option available, including uninstall of recent updates, system restore (no restore points available).

Set the BIOS/UEFI back to optimized defaults (Mobo is Gigabyte Aorus X570). Re-seated the drive. Drive is detected just fine in the BIOS/UEFI. Then attempted to install Windows again with no other drives connected. Windows detects the drive as partition 0, I format the drive, then select Next to install Windows, it appears to be installing for a little bit, then it fails with:

"Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation. Error code: 0x8007025D"

Should I just get another drive to install with and chuck this Corsair drive or what?

Solution
Try making a new Installer and see if that makes any difference. Or use another USB stick as if it happened before the restart, its not running off the nvme at that stage and just ram & the USB

that error is the USB

This page is going to explain to you why error 0x8007025D appears. The error might be brought by several issues, but they are all related to the USB buffering system

According to windows support, 0x8007025D = ERROR_BAD_COMPRESSION_BUFFER = the specified buffer contains ill-formed data. USB 3.0 uses the Message Signaled Interrupt (MSI) mode for communications with the system. USB 2.0 uses the much older Interrupt Request (IRQ) system. One feature of the new MSI system that USB 3.0 devices use is asynchronous handling...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try making a new Installer and see if that makes any difference. Or use another USB stick as if it happened before the restart, its not running off the nvme at that stage and just ram & the USB

that error is the USB

This page is going to explain to you why error 0x8007025D appears. The error might be brought by several issues, but they are all related to the USB buffering system

According to windows support, 0x8007025D = ERROR_BAD_COMPRESSION_BUFFER = the specified buffer contains ill-formed data. USB 3.0 uses the Message Signaled Interrupt (MSI) mode for communications with the system. USB 2.0 uses the much older Interrupt Request (IRQ) system. One feature of the new MSI system that USB 3.0 devices use is asynchronous handling of data transfer between the device and system. This requires a buffer through which data is streamed to at high data rates (“SuperSpeed”), which is then decoded by the system. If you receive error 0x8007025D then probably your PNY devices are sending bad or corrupted data to the buffers, your device’s buffers are choked or your device can’t decode the data properly. Here are the reasons why you might be receiving this error.

Corrupt data on the USB drive means that this data cannot be decoded properly thus throwing this error. Corrupt data may be from the corrupt .ISO image file used to create the bootable USB drive.

Last edited:
Solution

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005

that error is the USB

Thanks for the reply. Just to follow up on this, I tried a different USB stick using a freshly downloaded Windows 10 Media creator. For the record, I have used both USB sticks in the past to install many PC's without issue, until now.

The second USB stick was put in a different USB 3.0 port and the installer still failed!

Then I realized I was being a dumbass and had mixed two types of RAM occupying all 4 DIMM slots. It worked fine on my previous install ( until it didn't anymore). After removing RAM from two of the slots the Windows install worked without any problems. I should have known better.