[SOLVED] Has my M.2 SSD died? Am I giving CPR to something that's already left us?

Jan 25, 2019
Long story short:

M.2 Crucial MX300 1TB SSD has been working perfectly on my X370 Asrock Mobo for around a year and a half with windows 10.

Last week I started hear electrical whining noises during heavy GPU usage (Gaming / Crypto) that would come and go.

Yesterday my PC froze so I turned it off manually via the power.

On restart it would freeze again after 5 mins of use and then eventually even at the login screen.

Tried system restore / system repair / other options in windows 10 recovery screen to no avail.

Then tried one last system restore that was going on for 50 minutes which I thought was not working so I turned it off manually via the power again.

Current situation now: SSD is not detected in the BIOS nor via Windows 10 reinstall via a UEFI USB..

Tried restarting multiple times and reinserting the m.2 ssd and still nothing..

Has it died?
Is it another component?
Should I have waited 4 hours for the system restore?

Crucials warranty process looks like hell and I don't think it's going to be worth it..

Thanks guys.

Solution
It it's not seen in BIOS that points to an issue with the disk or motherboard slot. Only way to test it is to try it on another motherboard or in an external enclosure.

TRENDING THREADS