Has my PC died? I can't get past the boot repair screen.

Ozzypig

Honorable
May 11, 2013
SOLVED. Refer to my last post in the topic for vague solution.

Hi! I'm new here. I'm not very good with the hardware side of computers, so please bare with me.

My specs:

• Windows 8
    32-bit
    (I'm not sure of my GhZ, I don't really pay attention to that, but the front of my PC has an Intel sticker.)
    4 GB RAM

Last night my internet went out. So, as anyone would, I restarted my computer. I noticed that the boot screen was taking a while to load. Then the Windows Vista loading-thingy popped up. Then I was taken to 'The Tech Guys' boot repair, or something like that. Every time I try to boot up, it takes me back to the boot repair screen. I can't get into my PC. So, I experimented with a few things, but nothing seemed to work. I started Windows Vista Repair Environment, but it said that it can't fix it.
The problem details are...

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature 01: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.0.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03 : 0
Problem Signature 04: 65537
Problem Signature 05: unknown
Problem Signature 06: CorruptBootConfigData
Problem Signature 07: 0
Problem Signature 08: 1
Problem Signature 09: FixPartitionTable
ProblemSignature 10: 1168
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1

So, when I clicked on the advanced system restore area originally, at the top it told me
'Operating system: Windows Vista on (H:) Fraps Storage'

(I have 2 drives, a 1 TB one and a 160 GB one. The 160 GB one is used to store a few videos and stuff, and my 1 TB one is my operating system.)
So, I assumed that Windows was booting the wrong drive. But I couldn't fix it.

So, this morning I ran the Vista Repair Environment again and it actually found something. It restarted, but took me to the same place. But, this time, when I click on advanced system restore options I get 'Operating system: Windows 8 Pro with Media Center (recovered) on (unknown)'

Notes:
My system originally came with Windows Vista, but me and my dad have done a lot of tweaks on it. It's kept up with time.
I've tried resetting my BIOS (CMOS or something?) to it's default setting, but that did nothing.
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool comes up with nothing.
There are no restore points (But I set one a few days back. :S )
I ran something in the repair area, and I distinctly remember 'Status 50.' but I can't find the complete message again.
I tried listing my drives in the CMD, but it only showed my 160 GB drive.
I've tried the bootrec method. Did nothing. :c

Is there any way to fix this? I rely on my PC for doing work and stuff. Any help would be appreciated.
Sorry for the long post. :p

Solution
A clean install is better but the problem may still be that there any still be a hidden parttion with info for the Vista and XP OSes.
A format only erases data from C: drive, a hidden partiton does not have a driver letter.

Anyway, all seems to be fixed now so just take advantage of the "fix" while it lasts!

Happy Computing :)

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
refers to Vista, it could be that you don't actually have windows 8 installed or perhaps on a different partition?

Clean install using Windows 8 upgrade dvd, but all your files will be deleted.
"You can perform a clean installation of Windows 8—which typically means formatting your hard drive before installing Windows—using upgrade media, but you need use the Windows 8 Setup program to reformat your drive. You also must have a previous version of Windows running on the PC—you can't install on a bare drive."
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/clean-install

Windows 8 Pro with Media Center
http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/microsoft/how-to-install-windows-media-center-in-windows-8-pro-rtm.asp

Even after all of that, 4gb or ram is not really much, not even for Vista or XP. It's possible that your Pc is not really good enough for Windows 8, your PSU might be under-powered. You might have to turn the power offf from the PC and actually go look under the hood to see what's in there.

It's not the hard drive that is the issue, per se, but could be a combination of all your parts as well as the fact that you may have selected upgrade rather than clean install for Windows 8 Pro.

You should consider just buying another hdd to transfer all your storage data then do a clean install of Windows 8 Pro as described in the link above.

Ozzypig

Honorable
May 11, 2013
I'll try grabbing the few important files on my drive and doing a fresh install. I really hope the drive isn't fried.
I just find it strange how it was working fine one second, then as soon as I restarted it bugged out. I've had no issues with my PC since I upgraded from Windows 7. And my computer has had the same parts for about a year now, so... meh.

Ozzypig

Honorable
May 11, 2013
UPDATE: So, while I was out with friends my dad managed to fix it somehow. I asked him and he just said he pressed buttons until it fixed itself. He said he didn't format anything, he just put in the disk and changed the boot sequence. Then he clicked on some repair icon and changed some stuff again and it booted like normal. idk.
All in all, it's fixed. Thank the lord I'm not stuck with my old laptop. (Half a GB of RAM and Windows XP. Lags like a poop.)

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Upgrade from Windows 7 from Vista? Then upgrade to Windows 8 from Windows 7?
I think you will still have problems, you got lots of data bits stuck in the hidden partition that refers to restore and backup drivers.
You should set a manual Restiore Point ASAP.

Ozzypig

Honorable
May 11, 2013
I think I did a clean install from 7 to 8. I think while installing, it gave me the option of wiping my drive and installing 8, or layering over 7 and keeping my stuff. I selected the clean install button-thingy. Is that what you mean by upgrading, or am I misunderstanding you? xD

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
A clean install is better but the problem may still be that there any still be a hidden parttion with info for the Vista and XP OSes.
A format only erases data from C: drive, a hidden partiton does not have a driver letter.

Anyway, all seems to be fixed now so just take advantage of the "fix" while it lasts!

Happy Computing :)

Solution