[SOLVED] Has Newegg.com Gone Out Of Favor?

starvinmarvin

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
These days a link to check prices at Newegg.com is not often shown. Amazon, Walmart, etc. often have price check / buy links, but I rarely see a link for Newegg. Have they gone out of favor for some reason?

Solution
I don't think so. They are just typically a little more expensive than the competition I have found. A lot of their 'low' pricing revolves around mail in rebates.

Though they could be cutting back on inventory if they can't compete.

My last few major purchases have gone through Amazon I must say. CPU and GPU I think. Everything else I got from Newegg though.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think so. They are just typically a little more expensive than the competition I have found. A lot of their 'low' pricing revolves around mail in rebates.

Though they could be cutting back on inventory if they can't compete.

My last few major purchases have gone through Amazon I must say. CPU and GPU I think. Everything else I got from Newegg though.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I appreciate the generally good job Newegg does on proper search/filtering. If I search "RX 580" on Amazon.ca the fourth* result is already an RX 570. If I sort by lowest price first I get a full page worth of garbage before I get to actual 580s.

*Excluding sponsored results for a manufacturer/model of 580 I've never heard of, sold by a marketplace seller with no feedback.

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I like Newegg and still peruse their site as well as receive promotional emails. Every now and again they offer really good one off deals. IMO, if I were shopping for a whole system I am lucky enough to have a Micro Center nearby, and in that it makes it worth the gas and time. If I am looking for a single item I will try to go Newegg, particularly if I can wait a bit for a sale. If I need it quickly, Amazon...but I will say that with the latter I have run into great prices, the item "ships" and then I don't ever get it and have some "lost in the mail" excuse.

Newegg is still very much relevent.

I get emails with specials from newegg, and some of the deals are amazing.

$419 For an ASUS ROG Strix RTX2070.
mail

mail
mail
mail

Amazon has the card for $499
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce...=gateway&sprefix=ROG+Strix+RTX,aps,152&sr=8-3

Newegg went down the tube for me when the starting listing items from other sellers. Now whenever they have "amazing deals" they are matching Amazon, if not a little more. Add that to the fact that I get free 2-day shipping with Amazon prime, and sorry Newegg, your ship has sailed for me (but it was a fun ride!).

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I still use 'em from time to time. In fact, I recently ordered a certain brand new case.

I've yet to have any issues with ordering from them.
I was reluctant to order anything for almost an entire year from them since that data breach - was strictly ordering all my PC hardware from Amazon for awhile...

Newegg went down the tube for me when the starting listing items from other sellers. Now whenever they have "amazing deals" they are matching Amazon, if not a little more. Add that to the fact that I get free 2-day shipping with Amazon prime, and sorry Newegg, your ship has sailed for me (but it was a fun ride!).
No different from Amazon really.
Save yourself many potential issues and avoid the 3rd party sellers as much as possible - just use only Newegg or Amazon as the seller.
I'll only bother with the others when I run out of options.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I have to agree on their search platform. It is the best out there for computers. Good luck finding a laptop on amazon unless you know its exact hardware details up front. Usually I will use Newegg to find something to recommend, then price shop on the other sites. Though it is not always possible to get parts matching hardware, but you can get close.

3rd party sellers are hard to avoid these days, but only buying from Newegg directly is still pretty straightforward. On Amazon I try to at least stick to fulfilled by Amazon, though I have seen complaints on that. If they have matching part numbers they will pull from other bins, and supposedly there have been nefarious returns and poorly managed inventory. I think the specific case was a 3rd party seller had some RAM listed as one thing, but it was really another. And despite ordering specifically from a different seller, since they had shared warehousing it was pulled and shipped. Took some time to get that one resolved as I recall.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TRENDING THREADS