has OC'ing damaged the gpu/memory on my saphire x800xt gto2?

bateman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Hi,
after reading about the "overclockability" of this card, plus the ability to unlock 4 extra pipelines i decided i would buy one and try it out for myself. I removed the stock cooler and made sure that the core was an r480. i cleaned the thermal compound from the gpu and memory and correctly fitted a new "artic silencer" cooler. Using ATiTool i discovered that this particular card had infact shipped with all 16 pipelines unlocked, so no bios flash was necessary. i then let ATiTool try to automatically find my optimal core clock speed. however at about 540mhz my PC stopped responding and i got the infinate loop BSOD :( after i re-set i managed to set the core and memory frequency to 520/540 respectivley. For a while everything seemed to be running stable and my core temp never rose above 60, but sure enough after an hour or 2 i get the same infinite loop BSOD and have to restart my PC. i then decided to return clocks to the default 400/490 settings. still i get sporadic lockups and BSOD's (this happens in windows as well as 3d app's and games). So i uninstall and reinstall my video drivers... same problem. Im using the latest catalyst drivers, mobo chipset drivers are upto date, im pretty sure my card is not overheating (never seems to exceed 60C), and there are no graphical "glitches" or "artifacts" whilst im playing games etc... just the random lockups and infinite loop BSOD's.

would damaged gpu's/memory cause this? or this more likely to be being caused by some sort of software/driver conflict?

any help would be appreciated :)

bateman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
:/ i was scared someone would say that. I dont have another system i can try it in yet, but i am upgrading an older system to s939 & pci-e. perhaps i will have more luck using it there with a clean installation of windows?

Is this a common problem? i have read about similar things happening with older nvidia cards, but not newer cards or ati cards?

thanks,
Bateman

bateman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
i thought as much, especially considering the low temps i was getting with the new cooler. If the card works it will have been a very good buy, well over 6000 marks in 3dmark05 for only £120 so obviously im keen to get it running smoothly.

thanks,
bateman

benjamin

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004
i thought as much, especially considering the low temps i was getting with the new cooler. If the card works it will have been a very good buy, well over 6000 marks in 3dmark05 for only £120 so obviously im keen to get it running smoothly.
Do make sure the AC fan isn't randomly stopping. Give it 20 seconds of hard work without a fan and you'll crash. The X800/850 series had an issue with the fan power supply spiking, and AC have an FAQ on the subject. Mine is affected, the fix is to wire the AC fan directly to a Molex.

bateman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Turns out you were right. wired the fan to a molex and not a single crash since. infact i noticed the temps seem even lower now and i managed a better OC.

thanks for the help, time to go play test the thing now :)
Bateman.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
The videoram could be fried; I did it once to a 6800GT before. An extra fan I used to keep the card cool failed; I heard it and opened the case to check on it. By the time I looked back up the game was frozen and the memory was damaged.

That was a funny day.