[SOLVED] Has this CPU been overclocked?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
I bought a used i7-7700k from ebay...the owner used it with an Intel BXTS15A cooler and MSI H110M PRO-VD...

since with h110m you can not oc...is it ok to think this CPU has not been damaged ?

Can you overvolt the CPU with a H110M mother board?

Solution
My last pc was a 3770k (ebay), Msi mpower Z77 (ebay), 16Gb Intel eXtreme Masters edition Patriot 1866MHz (eBay), Samsung 840Pro 120Gb (eBay), Fractal Design R5 (Craigslist), nzxt Kraken x61 280mm AIO (eBay) . The only new items were the psu and gpu. I took that 3770k to 5.0GHz all core at 1.4v, dropped it to 4.9GHz at 1.32v where it sat for the next 6 years, running 24/7/364. Only time it was ever shut down was cleaning and power outages.

So I have no issues with ebay cpus, you get what you get, but I make no guesses at any prior OC or not, I always assume that the cpu has been OC'd (if it's a K squ) and prior owner is lying. Nobody buys a 7700k and tries putting it on a H110m, the cheapest possible mobo, with a stock cooler stolen...

KyaraM

Admirable
So the cpu cant be possibly damaged? Or can it ?
There are more things that can damage a CPU besides overclocking. And on the other hand, overclocking in itself doesn't damage the CPU. Heat and high voltages do, which are likely higher in an OC'd CPU than one that wasn't. But as long as the CPU didn't run under extreme conditions for long periods of time, it should not be. Impossible to tell, though.

Reactions: CountMike

KyaraM

Admirable
So the cpu cant be possibly damaged? Or can it ?
There are more things that can damage a CPU besides overclocking. And on the other hand, overclocking in itself doesn't damage the CPU. Heat and high voltages do, which are likely higher in an OC'd CPU than one that wasn't. But as long as the CPU didn't run under extreme conditions for long periods of time, it should not be. Impossible to tell, though.

It's unlikely the 4.2 GHz factory all-core turbo took temps all that high , anyway, but, most Intel factory coolers of that era would be likely be inadequate, and, temps of 85C or higher would be expected if using one the little hockey puck-sized sinks typical from factory i3/i5 models...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Is the cpu on it's way or do you have it installed already?

Did the guy say he bought 7700k new? It's possible he also bought it second hand from someone who might've overclocked it and didn't disclose or was unaware. It's really the chance you take buying from someone else.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You know nothing. You assume everything. Unless you actually know the guy and his pc before you bought it. The seller says it was not overclocked, says it was on a H110m, and the best part, used a 95w stock Intel cooler on a cpu that didn't come with a stock cooler.

I call 'BS'...

So assume it was overclocked. Assume it was on a Z170/190 mobo, assume it had much better cooling. Nobody buys the top line, most expensive cpu of that generation and slaps it on the cheapest, next to useless motherboard with highly insufficient cooling. He stuck it on a H110, slapped on an extra stock cooler he had, took some pictures and said this is it, see it works. Never overclocked.

That said, cpus are an unknown variable. Nobody yet has ever had a cpu die from old age. There are still cpus out there working that were built in 1980. My Intel Genuine Pentium II 350MHz with an OC to 400MHz was still working the day I sold it, 5 years ago. Over 20 years sitting at the highest OC the motherboard jumpers would allow.

So whether or not the 7700k was OC'd or not is moot. It's all dependent on how well it was OC'd. Was it pushed to max safe voltage limits or beyond. How much (if any) damage is done. And there's absolutely no way of knowing that or finding out expected remaining lifespan, since it's impossible to determine the expected lifespan of the cpu to start with.

Cpus can and will die for a variety of reasons, some internal, some external. Being bought used isn't a reason, it just removes any verified or verifiable knowledge of prior use or abuse. It could die tomorrow, next week, 10 or more years from now. As could any cpu you bought new.

Reactions: Koekieezz

KyaraM

Admirable
You know nothing. You assume everything. Unless you actually know the guy and his pc before you bought it. The seller says it was not overclocked, says it was on a H110m, and the best part, used a 95w stock Intel cooler on a cpu that didn't come with a stock cooler.

I call 'BS'...

So assume it was overclocked. Assume it was on a Z170/190 mobo, assume it had much better cooling. Nobody buys the top line, most expensive cpu of that generation and slaps it on the cheapest, next to useless motherboard with highly insufficient cooling. He stuck it on a H110, slapped on an extra stock cooler he had, took some pictures and said this is it, see it works. Never overclocked.

That said, cpus are an unknown variable. Nobody yet has ever had a cpu die from old age. There are still cpus out there working that were built in 1980. My Intel Genuine Pentium II 350MHz with an OC to 400MHz was still working the day I sold it, 5 years ago. Over 20 years sitting at the highest OC the motherboard jumpers would allow.

So whether or not the 7700k was OC'd or not is moot. It's all dependent on how well it was OC'd. Was it pushed to max safe voltage limits or beyond. How much (if any) damage is done. And there's absolutely no way of knowing that or finding out expected remaining lifespan, since it's impossible to determine the expected lifespan of the cpu to start with.

Cpus can and will die for a variety of reasons, some internal, some external. Being bought used isn't a reason, it just removes any verified or verifiable knowledge of prior use or abuse. It could die tomorrow, next week, 10 or more years from now. As could any cpu you bought new.
When I built my first home-built PC, I did just that with an 3570K simply because I didn't know better back then. Granted, it was no stock cooler, but close. That one might be a misunderstanding, even. Never say never...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
My last pc was a 3770k (ebay), Msi mpower Z77 (ebay), 16Gb Intel eXtreme Masters edition Patriot 1866MHz (eBay), Samsung 840Pro 120Gb (eBay), Fractal Design R5 (Craigslist), nzxt Kraken x61 280mm AIO (eBay) . The only new items were the psu and gpu. I took that 3770k to 5.0GHz all core at 1.4v, dropped it to 4.9GHz at 1.32v where it sat for the next 6 years, running 24/7/364. Only time it was ever shut down was cleaning and power outages.

So I have no issues with ebay cpus, you get what you get, but I make no guesses at any prior OC or not, I always assume that the cpu has been OC'd (if it's a K squ) and prior owner is lying. Nobody buys a 7700k and tries putting it on a H110m, the cheapest possible mobo, with a stock cooler stolen from a lesser cpu.

There's too many ppl who worry about possible OC and possible damage etc that sellers almost always claim 'no OC', just to alleviate worry. Given 2 identical cpus, one says no OC and the other says was OC'd for several years, which would you buy? The OC seller will have to drop prices to get interest, the non OC seller can raise prices because his is obviously undamaged and perfect as new.

Ignore sales tactics and hype, assume any K squ was overclocked at least partially or for some time period. To me, the seller with a 7700k on a H110m mobo and Intel stock cooler is shifty. That cooler is way underpowered for such a power hungry cpu, no way temps were anything less than 90's while gaming or heavy loads. I'd rather trust the guy selling, who claimed some OC with a Z170 and 240mm liquid cooler. At least I have some clue as to the history, not blind faith.

You could get an intel 3570k/3770k with a boxed stock cooler. It wasn't long after that that Intel decided to stop giving away coolers on K squ cpus, as ppl either stuck them on ebay or threw them away, wasting Intels profit.

Reactions: Koekieezz and boju
Solution
like what @Karadjgne said, wether it's OCed or not, the thing is it runs normally then so be it. I used an E3 1240 V2 from someone online for cheap, knowing its being used for home server idk what kind of 24/7 everyday/year or whatever you call it, does the job on my pc without any flaw.

damaged old cpu mostly wont boot the system, crashes the system, or even put the ram on dual channel, like what of some of my friend 2nd gen i3 cant do dual channel, tested it with my e3 1240 v2, boom dual channel stable.