has tomshardware ever wrote or tested an article about overclocking displays

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
preferably 4k displays since they are the most stringent. i was wondering as iv never really ran across this anywhere but wondered about overclock monitors and how long they would last ect. I have a LG 27UD68 4k monitor and have been really curious about especially once the next gen graphics cards come out

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I don't think so not specifically overclocked monitors. There's really nothing to discuss, most 100Hz display can be "overclocked" to 120 and 144Hz screens can be overclocked to 160Hz. It's just a setting you turn on of off.

g-unit1111

Titan

Can't be done. There's no extra switch on monitor panels that's suddenly going to give it an extra 15Hz. Sure, a monitor does have a BIOS, but there's nothing in the settings that will unlock extra power like motherboards or GPUs, it just isn't there.

g-unit1111

Titan

Graphics card has nothing to do with a display's refresh rate. That is strictly determined by the monitor, nothing else can make it get a higher refresh rate.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
oh ok, i know theres a section under there that displays the refresh rate of the monitor and you can change it. then a safty type screen comes up.... but weather or not that truly changes the refresh of the screen i dont know

g-unit1111

Titan

Yup. Overclocking your monitor is the equivalent to this:

homer_cereal_fail.gif