Question Haswell CPU question

Lamarr the Strelok

Prominent
Sep 29, 2022
Hello all, I want to play stalker 2 when it comes out. I have a i7 4770 4th gen cpu. The game says the minimum cpu is a 7th gen i5 that has 4 cores and 4 threads. My 4770 has 4 cores and 8 threads.I just want to make sure I'll be ok.I don't buy a ton of recent games but the 4770 buzzes right along with Far cry 6 and shadow of the tomb raider. Any input is appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
If it's not mentioned in their minimum system's requirements, I'd take that info with a big grain of salt. Chances are you're running the game at less than favorable FPS, if you're running Far Cry 6 on that processor. My 2 cents? You could try it but I'd advise on sticking close, very close, to the minimum system requirements for the game.

Reactions: Lamarr the Strelok

Lamarr the Strelok

Prominent
Sep 29, 2022
Yes stalker 2 would be a game I'd upgrade for but money is tight. I've more than had my money's worth from this pc.My rx570 is below the minimum of a rx 580 the game calls for.
I know there are really smart people so don't get offended by this question but are there apps/programs that would run on a 7th gen cpu but would'nt run on a 4th gen cpu? I'm gonna try to get the game running on this pc.It's only 60 bux to find out.I realize I'm close to getting all I can with this pc.Only a couple cpu's and maybe a few other gpu's I could get before it becomes silly to upgrade further but I'm determined to get all I can out of it before I'm done with it.
I didn't think the cpu would be a potential problem before today.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Yes stalker 2 would be a game I'd upgrade for but money is tight. I've more than had my money's worth from this pc.My rx570 is below the minimum of a rx 580 the game calls for.
I know there are really smart people so don't get offended by this question but are there apps/programs that would run on a 7th gen cpu but would'nt run on a 4th gen cpu? I'm gonna try to get the game running on this pc.It's only 60 bux to find out.I realize I'm close to getting all I can with this pc.Only a couple cpu's and maybe a few other gpu's I could get before it becomes silly to upgrade further but I'm determined to get all I can out of it before I'm done with it.
I didn't think the cpu would be a potential problem before today.
We, I mean humankind, can very easily get used to things better. For you after making an upgrade and running the game at 30 fps, can be an acceptable performance. For me anything less than 120 fps is not acceptable, and then I would just try to upgrade my computer and I would delay playing that game until that upgrade.

But in general, as of 2023, playing an AAA title with acceptable performance requires at least an i7 for 7th or 8th generation. A 10-year-old CPU is too old for that.

I know you have budget limitations, but it is like that.

Lamarr the Strelok

Prominent
Sep 29, 2022
Well crud. Even 720@30 fps will be enough for me. I've been waiting years for stalker 2. If it doesn't run at all I will still have the game for when I upgrade my rig. I did a search for low spec gaming but only got youtube results.
I was shopping around new Dells and HP desktops and they're all small and have proprietary power supplies.And no measurement where a graphics card would go.I was able to upgrade my PSU and video card on my Dell pc that has the 4770. The new HP and Dell desktops I have seen all have power supplies that aren't standard sized. And building from scratch will be too much money.
And I'm trying to ditch windows all the way and game only on Linux.And I can't get Ubi's connect to work on mint.Games on Linux is pretty good until you need Connect or EA's app. This bites.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Building a computer with second-hand components would not cost as much, and can end up being better than a HP or Dell desktop. It all depends on your country, I don't know the second-hand components' market in your country, but I am planning to upgrade my computer from 9700K to 13900K, and probably I will sell my computer's mainboard, CPU, CPU fan and RAM about 600 USD. So total cost would be less than 1000 USD.

Lamarr the Strelok

Prominent
Sep 29, 2022
I'm in the USA. I generally don't like buying used.I'm not a wheeler dealer like you Falcon.:)I just checked and the Dell's are tiny with no room for a video card upgrade. The bigger towers are around 800 bux so in that scenario I could just get cpu,gpu,etc and get the biggest case I want.That's what I liked about the Dells I've had.I know generally the pc will work fine.Buying a case,motherboard,cpu OS,RAM and everything else I'd need is daunting.
I've replaced a motherboard and dis assembled and re assembled desktops before but it seems it would be difficult getting everything working right if I were to start from scratch.dI've done a few cpu upgrades and can get a Linux Mint installation to work basically like Windows.
Then there's a possibility of proton/steam will be able to launch Ubisoft Connect and EA's app to play those games on Linux by 2025 when windows 10 support ends. It's been about 20 years and I'm sick of windows,but I'm stuck because of gaming on windows is a lot easier..

Lamarr the Strelok

Prominent
Sep 29, 2022
Yeah I just upgraded the 4770 3 years ago coming from a i3 4150 2c 4t that I used to play games that called for i5 as minimum.
I was just monitoring my system while playing Far cry 6. I have it on 1440p high settings. My cpu shows 50 to 60 % utilization ,I use about 5.5 of my 8 GB VRAM,and about 10 of my 16 GB RAM. I get about 45 fps pretty consistently and it looks great to me.These were measured when I was driving or in a helicopter.
I noticed The GPU utilization mostly stays at 100% while driving ,etc.The game looks and plays great butI don't know if high gpu utilization is good or bad in this case. Its usually about 100% for GPU and 50 to 60 % for the cpu while gaming .