Haswell: News, Rumors & Reviews

Page 215 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Probably engy samples. Something like the first Llano parts shown. Or was it Bobcat? XD

Those numbers will be very interesting to see. The ARM parts in 28nm are strong showings in low power, so Atom in 14nm could just make it happen for Intel.

Cheers!

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

28nm on its own is wonderful for power saving. Its when its used with A15 architectures does it loose its edge in pure power ratings.
A15 is quite power hungry compared to A9. So generation over generation, we get approximately similar battery life on phones.
Except for integrated LTE, which is a big power saver over a separate chip.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
^ ah yes. But not all implementations of next gen A15 have the big.little config. AFAIK, Nvidia has it. Samsung will prolly have it.
QC does not have any, atleast publicly.

In 2012, QC has reigned the mobile market like a boss. I suspect in 2013, Samsung will have upper hand. (not least because Adreno320 is a little gimped compared to Mali-t600).

Call me when that happens. It was bad enough when Apple went PPC->X86, but at least X86 has the muscle to emulate the PPC instruction set, allowing backward compatability. ARM doesn't have the power to do that, so unless Apple wants every single application released for OSX to suddenly go obsolete, I REALLY don't see them just ditching X86. More likely, they'll split their product line somehow, and gradually ween developers away from X86 (which is MSFT had any brains, they would start doing.)

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
http://pclab.pl/

excellent site with hardcore tests. It has lots of hardcore and overclocking tests, which i find lacking on other 'major review' sites.
It has quite an extensive CPU tests.

arensisna

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
3 failed passwords and your account is locked out for 24 hrs.

that will take billions of years to crack with 3 tries per day.
aritrav.gif

"Top Haswell desktop part is i7 4770K "
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/29936-top-haswell-desktop-part-is-i7-4770k
intel is claiming not 1x, not 2x but.
wait for it....

XXX (i.e. 3x) improvement!!!
that's so massive that trinity and upcoming richland igpus are in some serious neck deep !@#$....
except. the improvements are compared between ivy bridge gt1 (hd2500) vs haswell gt2 (hd4600). deja vu you say? remember earlier, before ivb launch, intel claimed 200~ !@#$ing percent igpu performance improvement.....with hd4000 over hd2000(sandy bridge gt1).

benchmarketing ftl!
edit: imo, the model numbering suggests that (4600 over 4000) minor performance improvement over top igpu... that's not saying much.... sigh... broadwell....

a little bit more on haswell's integrated vrm.
"Intel’s Haswell to Feature Secrete Weapon: Integrated Voltage Regulator." (aka small mobo vendor destroyer mk. 01(bga packaged broadwell being mk. 02))
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20121226225930_Intel_s_Haswell_to_Feature_Secrete_Weapon_Integrated_Voltage_Regulator.html

@intel's bold(!) claim of igpu performance improvement: iirc haswell gt2 will have 20 eus based on existing igpu architecture, compared to 16 eus on ivy bridge gt2 (hd4000). i forgot how many eus are in hd2500... 8 eus.. may be... both haswell and ivb are built on same (but more mature now) 22nm node.

ebalong

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
So, are mobo manufacturer's going to omit the vrm's for the CPU on their Intel boards, or will they still have them in sort of a redundant capacity?

I heard a rumor that the special attention to granularity of power regulation with Haswell might enable those chips to be good overclockers....

G

personally i like the ivy TIM Q/A. if anything the whole thread makes a good story/read while trying to figure out who it is . . so far i got geekguy going through a divorce looking to pass the time with some company online . . .

where did i put my psychoanalyst's hat?

But you assume a simple brute force method, as opposed to grabbing the password's hash during the comparison to what was entered. Once you get that, you can reverse engineer offline until you figure out the correct password.

There's a reason why the US government recently reduced its password cycle time to just 60 days. 12 character strong passwords aren't that strong anymore.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
my dog feels that he is a cat . . . and a terrible mouser . . i need to call the pet therapist about both issues. :(
:lol:

:eek: that makes story (more of personal story with somewhat coded/encrypted questions and answers)
you can put your psychoanalyst's hat on the guy which is sitting in my sig :p don't know what he is doing there and he is not paying :heink: :D

XXX (i.e. 3x) improvement!!!
:lol: xxx improvement :whistle: non-veg improvement :p :D

ebalong

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

That is actually what I was referring to. Somewhere in there, the OP hints at a "surprise" that Haswell may bring. Someone (maybe him or somebody else, I forgot) speculated it was going to be easy overclocking, perhaps due to the advantages of being able to regulate the power consumption at a finer level.

G

sent you a PM about that. yes you ought to :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.