Haswell or Skylake system ?

Nexgen187

Honorable
Nov 1, 2016
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a new computer, I'm using a mini-laptop at the moment from the brand HP which isn't powerful at all. (Windows 7 Started Edition, 1GB memory...)
I was going for this system based on an i3 Haswell CPU :

Intel Haswell i3-4170
Palit GeForce GTX 750 Ti StormX 1Go
HyperX 4Go 1600Mhz DDR3
MSI B85M-G43 Micro ATX
Corsair CX450M
Carbide Series 88R
Iiyama 21.5" LED - ProLite E2283HS-B1

Until I realized that for a similar price I could buy a configuration based on a Skylake CPU :

Intel Core i3-6100
Palit GeForce GTX 750 Ti StormX 1Go
HyperX 4Go 2133Mhz DDR4
MSI H110M GRENADE Micro ATX
Corsair CX450M
Carbide Series 88R
Iyama 21.5" LED - ProLite E2283HS-B1

My budget is 560€. With the first build I get a total of 554€~ and with the Skylake one I get 563€~.
According to CPUBoss it seems that the i3-4170 is slighlty more powerful than the 6100 based on the single core performance.
I used to play Starcraft 2 when I had a computer some years ago and I know that the i3 series perform well on that game since it's not using more than two cores, I'm interested in playing a couple of games in Starcraft 2 with new the computer I want to buy and on ultra settings, I'm not a hardcore gamer though, I just tend to read articles on the internet and watch some videos from time to time.

Overall is it worth it to consider the Skylake system knowning that there is also the DDR4 type of memory ? I don't know if the difference between DDR3 and DDR4 is that big, I don't know that much that's why I came here to search infos from people who know the subject better than I do. In the end my heart tells me Skylake might be better because it's new (of course) and for the potential it has with the new DDR4 innovation.

Kind regards

Ak74Egy

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
Right now, it's a lot better to go for a Skylake build even though some haswell processors might be better than skylake's, because skylake offers the chance to go for DDR4 Ram, which is becoming in demand because of it's much higher clock speeds and it's fairly the same price as DDR3 sticks, side note: if you want to game it's probably best to go for a quad core processor like an i5, or if you can't afford it go for an alternative AMD build instead.