[SOLVED] Haswell + RTX3070?

milosv123344

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Hello everone, looking for some advice. I still have i7 4770k, Sabertooth Z87, 24gb DDR3 Ram, all purchased back in 2013. My current GPU is GTX970

Up until now i saw no point in upgrading anything except the GPU, and I'll be doing 2k Gaming on the Samsung G7.

How much of a bottleneck do you think there'll be if i don't ugprade the rest of the rig (basically getting a whole new PC)?

Thanks!

Solution
Chips released even back in 2017 will not be able to fully utilize the full performance of the 3000 nvidia series. You're looking at a -20FPS difference already. With the 4770k being a 2013 release date chip, as well as it using slower DDR3 and PCIe gen 3, you are really looking at massive bottle-necking. If the claim that the 3070 really is as powerful as the 2080Ti, then imagine putting a 2080Ti in your system. Does that sound like there won't be any bottlenecks?

You will most definitely need to upgrade your other hardware for this next gen if you want the performance you're paying for.
Chips released even back in 2017 will not be able to fully utilize the full performance of the 3000 nvidia series. You're looking at a -20FPS difference already. With the 4770k being a 2013 release date chip, as well as it using slower DDR3 and PCIe gen 3, you are really looking at massive bottle-necking. If the claim that the 3070 really is as powerful as the 2080Ti, then imagine putting a 2080Ti in your system. Does that sound like there won't be any bottlenecks?

You will most definitely need to upgrade your other hardware for this next gen if you want the performance you're paying for.

Reactions: milosv123344
Solution

milosv123344

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

Many thanks! I used to know this stuff like the back of my hand until a couple of years ago, it seems like there is a lot of things I don't seem to be up to date with.

Could you recommend a CPU/Motherboard combo that would be just perfect for this GPU? Budget - $700.

I was looking at an i9, but I have no idea if there is a better Ryzen alternative I should maybe check out.

Many thanks! I used to know this stuff like the back of my hand until a couple of years ago, it seems like there is a lot of things I don't seem to be up to date with.

Could you recommend a CPU/Motherboard combo that would be just perfect for this GPU? Budget - $700.

I was looking at an i9, but I have no idea if there is a better Ryzen alternative I should maybe check out.

Depends what you plan to use it for - just gaming or do you plan to make use of the multi-threaded performance ryzen offers? To be honest I'd go with ryzen either way since the FPS difference in gaming with both AMD and intel's CPU aren't that different for most games, especially with the RTX 3070 offering a ton of performance already - making AMD the best value for the dollar. (Also AMD has PCIe Gen 4 unlike intel which has no chips at the moment that support gen 4).

BUT AS OF WRITING THIS:
I'd hold off on buying anything at the moment since AMD is about to launch their new series Zen 3 chips. Which will definitely bring more performance per dollar.
You'll want to keep a close eye on anything similar to AMD's current 3700X performance, that's the mid-tier multi-purpose gaming CPU.

But if you do want to go intel a comparitive option would be the 9700K or the 10700K, though these will likely be outdated really quickly as they were already outbeaten by AMD upon release.

milosv123344

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Depends what you plan to use it for - just gaming or do you plan to make use of the multi-threaded performance ryzen offers? To be honest I'd go with ryzen either way since the FPS difference in gaming with both AMD and intel's CPU aren't that different for most games, especially with the RTX 3070 offering a ton of performance already - making AMD the best value for the dollar. (Also AMD has PCIe Gen 4 unlike intel which has no chips at the moment that support gen 4).

BUT AS OF WRITING THIS:
I'd hold off on buying anything at the moment since AMD is about to launch their new series Zen 3 chips. Which will definitely bring more performance per dollar.
You'll want to keep a close eye on anything similar to AMD's current 3700X performance, that's the mid-tier multi-purpose gaming CPU.

But if you do want to go intel a comparitive option would be the 9700K or the 10700K, though these will likely be outdated really quickly as they were already outbeaten by AMD upon release.

Thanks for your reply! I will most likely go with the Intel Core i9-9900K, after watching a bunch of benchmarks comparing it with it's R9 counterpart which show about 10% performance difference in favour of the i9, and taking into account that in my country the price difference is around $70 (i9 being cheaper). Will use it for gaming mostly.

Thanks so much for the help!

Reactions: Newtonius