Haswell vs Ivy Bridge

Rfisher

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
In previous post I asked AMD or Intel. After discovering the difference with the help of the much more savvy people here, I got my answer. I know Haswell is new but I was wondering how much of an improvement if at all compared to ivy bridge? In that post I also mentioned future proofing and being that Haswell is new it may be worth it. I also stated I do not do over clock but if I want to get the most out of my CPU I will be looking into over clocking for sure when bigger higher demanding stuff comes out so I want that ability.

Is Haswell worth it? The price point is very minimal like 20$ And when it comes to upgrading at the level I plan on doing 20$ will not break the bank and wouldn't effect my decision. Also the Mobo's are little more expensive so it would be upping the price as well, again wouldn't effect my decision if it really is that much better. But between the price increases and I noticed higher wattage is it worth it?

Solution
This dude said it best:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/252/msi-z87-mpower-max-motherboard-review/12/

I don’t think there’s any compelling reason to move from an Ivy Bridge or even a Sandy Bridge based system to a Haswell system– there simply isn’t enough performance and feature differential to justify it. On the other hand, if you’re building a new rig from scratch, there’s little point in investing in end-of-life platforms, so going Haswell/Z87 makes sense.

Haswell averages 10+% faster .... but Ivy overclocks about 6% more.
This dude said it best:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/252/msi-z87-mpower-max-motherboard-review/12/

I don’t think there’s any compelling reason to move from an Ivy Bridge or even a Sandy Bridge based system to a Haswell system– there simply isn’t enough performance and feature differential to justify it. On the other hand, if you’re building a new rig from scratch, there’s little point in investing in end-of-life platforms, so going Haswell/Z87 makes sense.

Haswell averages 10+% faster .... but Ivy overclocks about 6% more.

Solution
Haswell runs on the 1150 socket which Broadwell (next gen) is supposed to use as well. The performance difference between Haswell and Ivy Bridge is ~5-10% more depending on what program you are running. If you are planning to overclock, Haswell runs hotter than IB and so usually needs stronger cooling to achieve the same clock rates of IB, but from what I have read, with comparable cooling, the difference is like 4.5ghz Haswell to 4.8ghz Ivy at the same temps. Considering the 5-10% performance increase, performance is probably about equal.

In the end, buying Haswell will give you the potential to upgrade to Broadwell (but not guarantee). Plus more native features in the chipset.

Rfisher

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Thank you for the fast responses.

That basically answers my question. Even though the minimal price difference isn't a big concern keeping it lower is always better and the minimal performance increase isn't enough for me to want to make the switch I'm not building from scratch however I am replacing some main components but Haswell just doesn't seem intriguing enough to make the switch even though Haswell has the chance for more future proofing.

Thank you for the great and fast answers from the both of you.