Question haunted PC

Yasser85

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2014
twitch.tv
Hello .. i know the title seems weird and i wasn't sure where to port it but apparently my pc doesn't work at home for more than a couple of minutes since there was a power outage .. i took it to be fixed but the store said it's working just fine and can't find anything wrong with it once i take it back home it works for a couple of minutes then it shuts down and stays off and i get electric shocks if i touch the cpu cooler, gpu or ssd/hdd or basicly any metal parts in the pc .. i took it back to the store they have no idea what i'm talking about and the pc works just fine there and no electric shocks or any of what i'm complaining about.. i took the pc to my cousin's house and it's working ( i am using it right now to port this) i ran a Heaven benchmark that i had from along time ago and ran that for over an hour. no problem

the differences that i can think of and suspect are..
at my home - where the problem happens:
  • i use 2 monitors(one on HDMI and the other on VGA connected to an AVI adapter cause the GPU doesn't have a VGA slot)
  • subwoofer+speakers
  • old weak cheap webcam
  • obviously my own electricity ( which i am starting to strongly suspect)

could it be one of the monitors doing this? the HDMI cable? the speakers/subwoofer?
could it be my own electricity?

i don't know and none of the techys around here knows.. i need your help
i live in egypt and there's no ground/grounding and it's not practically possible to ground my pc and it's been working fine for years

...my own electricity ( which i am starting to strongly suspect)
Obviously there shouldn't be electric shock if you touch PC components. So, I suspect that you might have trouble with grounding -which you say, doesn't exist in your place. Well, every home has "some kind" of grounding to avoid life hazard (when showering, for example). Anyway, you say PC worked fine till power outage happened. Why that happened? Was some repairing done on electricity after that?

Get some phase tester
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Circuit-Tester-120-140-Electrical-Screwdriver/dp/B012FJN870
and check ground contact on wall socket -phase tester should NOT lit! If it does lit, then you need an electrician.
Also try to reverse plug into the wall socket.

Yasser85

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2014
twitch.tv
Obviously there shouldn't be electric shock if you touch PC components. So, I suspect that you might have trouble with grounding -which you say, doesn't exist in your place. Well, every home has "some kind" of grounding to avoid life hazard (when showering, for example). Anyway, you say PC worked fine till power outage happened. Why that happened? Was some repairing done on electricity after that?

Get some phase tester
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Circuit-Tester-120-140-Electrical-Screwdriver/dp/B012FJN870
and check ground contact on wall socket -phase tester should NOT lit! If it does lit, then you need an electrician.
Also try to reverse plug into the wall socket.
i have that screwdriver.. so should i stick it into both wall socket plug holes and check if it does not lit in one of them?

also regarding repairs.. i don't know cause it was for the whole area not just my building .. i would assume so but i don't know..

Yasser85

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2014
twitch.tv
tester lit in one hole.. i used a wire to ground the case and attached it to a ferforge window - if you know what that is - hoping that would cover the grounding problem is it's that.. still the same issue .. after about 8 hours the pc shutdown and wouldn't boot back up unless i disconnect the power cable or switch off the powersupply - from that button/switch in the back - and wait for a couple of minutes then turn it back on and it lights up for moments and turns off again .. on the next day - which is today - i turned it back on in the afternoon and it's working now but i know it's a matter of time before it shuts down again and do the same thing.. i recorded a small video if it would help

ok.. has probably nothing to do with your issue, but ferforge window isn't the best grounding, because it's attached to dry wall -better would be if you ground on metal water tap (which is 100% grounding).
As said, consulting an electrician would be the right thing to do (just to be 100% sure about your house wiring). Because seriously, without some grounding protection, you risk your life when operating house appliances.. not to mention showering. That is, you should consider at least GFCI switch which is cheap solution and is usefull in cases when you don't have grounding options.

Btw. you tried to plugin into the wall socket by turning plug 180 degree? Do you still feel the shock when touching PC components? And does phase tester lit on the surface where you feel shock? You tried to plugin PC in another room?

And I hope you don't use rolled cable extension for your PC (like this):
1092200-min.jpeg

Last edited:

Yasser85

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2014
twitch.tv
ok.. has probably nothing to do with your issue, but ferforge window isn't the best grounding, because it's attached to dry wall -better would be if you ground on metal water tap (which is 100% grounding).
As said, consulting an electrician would be the right thing to do (just to be 100% sure about your house wiring). Because seriously, without some grounding protection, you risk your life when operating house appliances.. not to mention showering. That is, you should consider at least GFCI switch which is cheap solution and is usefull in cases when you don't have grounding options.

Btw. you tried to plugin into the wall socket by turning plug 180 degree? Do you still feel the shock when touching PC components? And does phase tester lit on the surface where you feel shock? You tried to plugin PC in another room?

And I hope you don't use rolled cable extension for your PC (like this):
1092200-min.jpeg
i don get the shock anymore since i used this wire on the ferforge window.. but the computer still shuts down after working for some hours and stays off even if i unplug the power cord and put it back.. stays off till the next day i plug it back in and try .. with a 50-50 chance it might work or not.
before yesterday it worked for 6 hours and died..
yesterda it worked till i slept over 8 hours
today it worked for 5 hours then died..

i tried unplugging the power cord and put it back in and try again.. works for 1-2 seconds and dies again ..

no i don use rolled cord extention .
yes i tried turning the plug 180degrees
the tester did lit on the bolts and pc components but not the surface when it used to shock me - before i did the wire thing
yes i tried to plug it in another oom in the same apartment and another apartment in the same buildning.. same results i also checked the voltage with a multimeter i borrowed and it read 233v
and i frogot to link the video
Video

edit: and this just happened when i tried to turn it on sooner.. and a minute after it died again
picture

Last edited:
You can Google for "Power supply surges detected... " error message and you can see, that in most cases there's an issue with PSU. Or in case you have (sometimes) big power fluctuations from the wall socket, you should consider to get a UPS.

Yes, I was assuming PSU since beginning. But you said PC works fine at other places (cousin, store), so I concentrated more on your apartment/building electricity -which you should take care about anyway.
But then you say, PC shuts down irregularly, and usually after many hours -so it's hard to say for how long it would work at cousin's place.
Well yes.. I would try with new PSU first (simply because of "Power supply surges detected... " error message).

Reactions: boju

Yasser85

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2014
twitch.tv
Yes, I was assuming PSU since beginning. But you said PC works fine at other places (cousin, store), so I concentrated more on your apartment/building electricity -which you should take care about anyway.
But then you say, PC shuts down irregularly, and usually after many hours -so it's hard to say for how long it would work at cousin's place.
Well yes.. I would try with new PSU first (simply because of "Power supply surges detected... " error message).
ok thanks alot for all your help and i'll update this post once i get the new psu ..