Question Have 2TB of external hard drive but only 111GB data can be saved

May 18, 2019
Brought a 2TB external HDD and I can only save 111GB worth of data.. Have check the disk management and there is no unallocated space there.. Have format it both via NTFS and FAT32 and its still doing the same... Note: If you check the properties of the HDD, its showing 1.81TB
If u try to quick format using system it takes hours unless u use ur fine and format, unplug then connect again.... Is a driver missing or what
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1c6-vKLSYhcnz9t8xQnmhExvOPURTTpUM

Last edited:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
The capacity column in the Disk Management is partly visible.

If the drive in question is D: that's formatted as FAT32 and maximum file size on a FAT32 medium is 4GB. If that 111GB is one file as big, or a combination of smaller files some of which are larger than 4GB that's probably why it won't accept them.

May 18, 2019
The capacity column in the Disk Management is partly visible.

If the drive in question is D: that's formatted as FAT32 and maximum file size on a FAT32 medium is 4GB. If that 111GB is one file as big, or a combination of smaller files some of which are larger than 4GB that's probably why it won't accept them.
Is there anyway I can make the capacity column to be fully visible... And I sent files of 50mb and it wouldn't still enter

One of your screenshots says "Seagate Expansion SCSI Disk Device". If you got it used, there are some scammers taking old low-capacity enterprise SCSI drives, hacking their firmware to make them report they're larger than they really are, and selling them on eBay. Similar to the scam flash drives which report a larger capacity than their true capacity. 120 GB = 111.7 GiB. And 120 GB was a fairly common size back in the day.

May 18, 2019
One of your screenshots says "Seagate Expansion SCSI Disk Device". If you got it used, there are some scammers taking old low-capacity enterprise SCSI drives, hacking their firmware to make them report they're larger than they really are, and selling them on eBay. Similar to the scam flash drives which report a larger capacity than their true capacity. 120 GB = 111.7 GiB. And 120 GB was a fairly common size back in the day.
Is there anyway to determine the actual size of the HDD since the system is still saying 1.81TB

USAFRet

Titan
I knew about the "1TB flash drives", but I didn't know they were also doing this with supposed large capacity HDD's.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
That's good point Solandri made but as you bought it new probably it wouldn't be the case.

Do what USAFRet said and inspect the drive physically. See what the label says.

Edit: So you did and it says 120GB. Well that explains it.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS