[SOLVED] Have 4 physical disks on my computer, Win10 setup question

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
If I ever need to reinstall the Windows 10, during the setup process, will my ISO file will see my disks and let me choose which one to install Windows 10 on to? Do I need to re-format those disks(in setup) everytime I install Windows 10 via ISO? or it will automatically skip that process and will directly go into the copying files actual setup process and then arrive me to the desktop? If this is the case, I will have one formatted ready disk and 3 blank (un-formatted) disks waiting to be formatted and enabled via Disk Management?

Can you simply guide me to the disk management process by writing here? No need for a video, videos I found on youtube usually misleading.

If my Windows 10 setup file (original education network ISO) automatically skips the disk install selection page, will my Windows 10 will be set up to my SSD directly? Because that ssd is my current windows 10 installation.

I know some education/business corporate network-based ISO files auto skips that part, and I need to choose my desired disk to install Win10 on.

or do I missing something here? I'm completely beginner in this topic.

Thank you
danny,

Solution
ok will do that, thanks again for fast answers

by the way, System Image backup still available on my Windows 10 (1903) I heard that MS remove that feature in future but I guess it is staying now? so I was thinking doing a full system backup from a external drive to a new working computer, can also restore my Win10 license? perhaps all of this above ı mentioned is unneeded if I do full backup by using system image? by using Windows 7 Backup and Restore on control panel?
Other 3rd party tools are much much better for a system backup.
I use Macrium Reflect.

It all depends on what you're trying to achieve and protect.

USAFRet

Titan
During a reinstall, physically disconnect ALL drives except for the one you want the OS on.

Yes, you will see all the drives and it allows you to choose which one.
However, given multiple connected drives, it will also probably put the small boot partition on one of the others.
Physical disconnection of the others prevents this.

Some answers you get here may say that there is no way for that to happen.
That is 100% incorrect.

Please, please, please...disconnect the other drives during a fresh install.

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
During a reinstall, physically disconnect ALL drives except for the one you want the OS on.

Yes, you will see all the drives and it allows you to choose which one.
However, given multiple connected drives, it will also probably put the small boot partition on one of the others.
Physical disconnection of the others prevents this.

Some answers you get here may say that there is no way for that to happen.
That is 100% incorrect.

Please, please, please...disconnect the other drives during a fresh install.

Okay thank you for fast reply, I'm kinda worried about this because my ISO is a education-network installation file, when I did a install on my other system months ago with same ISO file it auto skipped the disk selection part and directly started copying files and installing progress. I did not even get any kind of blue setup screen(well I did got but that was after the actual installing progress) entire checking for your computer for compability and installing process is done while on my desktop screen with my mouse cursor and all that working. After that I got that blue screen checking for updates/keyboard layout and quickly arrived to my desktop.

I did this by moving my ISO file from my backup drive to my desktop on a pre-installed computer, so I had chance to double click the ISO and install it from there.

My ISO file needs to be installed on computer to be activated by using educational network, so I don't have to pay that retarded price on stores, Windows 10 license is real expensive in my location.

It can't be that hard to use Disk Management if it auto skips that part. I mean it's not a rocket science.

Thanks for help

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019

by the way, System Image backup still available on my Windows 10 (1903) I heard that MS remove that feature in future but I guess it is staying now? so I was thinking doing a full system backup from a external drive to a new working computer, can also restore my Win10 license? perhaps all of this above ı mentioned is unneeded if I do full backup by using system image? by using Windows 7 Backup and Restore on control panel?

USAFRet

Titan

Other 3rd party tools are much much better for a system backup.
I use Macrium Reflect.

It all depends on what you're trying to achieve and protect.

Solution