Have a Crappy Flight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do two or three round trip flights (Saudi Arabia to/from USA) per year. A long flight (8 or 9 time zones) - well, you get resigned to it.

Domestic U.S airports are another matter. I handle the security screening by telling myself that I am one of the people that JNap is worried about - former military with conservative political leanings.

So if it's ok for a man to dress in womens lingerie and board a flight, then I can surely have my jeans down around my knees as long as I have "pajama bottoms" covering my butt right?

Well as long as your not black.

SW is great. I love Air Tran though, I swear they are the best.

And Here I thought you were talking about “Really Bad” flights that you had been on, Like:

- Being on a C140 and circling for an hour while you watch flight crew going up and down the aisle with large tools (Blew hydraulic pump on Nr 1 engine – No brakes and landing gear had to be manually lowered.

- Being on a research 707 (could talk and lesson to pilots). Shortly after takeoff one pilot says to the other “I’ll throttle back the left engine and bring it back up and then repeat with the other engine”. Excessive vibrations. After doing this the 1st pilot says “I could not tell a difference”, the 2nd pilot says “I think both engines are bad” After doing a U turn and landing they also blew a tire. We had taken a bird in the Left engine.

Minor one – Hit a deer on takeoff, another flight, landed on Ice (they had flooded a section of the run way and let it freeze) as soon as we cleared the Ice, blew a tire – Antilock was install backwards.

- Try following a C130 with smoke pods and trying to stay between the smoke trails – Only flight I “lost it” on. Think of the worst rollercoaster ride while breathing burning Kerosene. (looking at the problem of flying to close)

- Wife was on a puddle jumper (Twin engine prop) they lost the left engine on approach. The lady next to my wife had to be “Pried” out of her seat. When she told me about it, she said “I noticed that the left engine was not turning, but thought that they just turned it off for landing. – RIGHT As that comedian says “Hold your stupid sign up.”

@ JSC – My first overseas flight (NY-England via Goose Bay) was on a C118 – 18 hours. 3 flights to SEA were about that long. I’ve made one trip around the world. Chicago -> Nam W/side trip to Australia and Nam -> Pakistan -> Saudi Arabia -> Spain -> London (Spent two weeks there) -> JFK -> back to Chicago. Two flights to Moscow, I think they were about 12 Hours.

States Side - Southwest (Va to Vegas and LA), only way to go. Leaving Monday

True ... she isn't the one encouraging you to fly perchance?

If she starts trying to get you to do base jumping or swimming with sharks that might be a sign ...

Stay away from eating blowfish just to be on the safe side and get a car with at least 5 airbags.

Bubblewrap is also indicated ...

:)

RetiredChief, my first real flight was in 1953 coming back from Germany in a DC4. I was 6. Puddle jumped for fuel: Frankfurt, Shannon, Reykjavik, Thule, Gander, Bangor, then on to Chanute AFB.

Longest flight was 10 days, redeploying from Saudi Arabia back to Alexandria, Louisiana.

First flight out was a C5 with equipment and some people - advance party. Second, third, and fourth flights were chartered commercial, each a week apart after the C5. The C5 took 10 days to arrive. Every time the bird left the ground, something broke. We would land, the USAF would fly repair parts and maintenance people in to repair the aircraft, and we would take off again. Three times.

The aircraft never broke badly enough to scrub the flight and bring in another C5.

Talk about flying "on a wing and a prayer".

For domestic flights, I also like Southwest.

JSC - The good old days!

For about 4 years uses to catch hops out of Dover -> Frankfurt -> Mildenhall the first of June. Spend a week, Drop the wife and one son off for the summer, then around August would fly back and pick them up. Alternated between C5 and C140s. One of the flights over was a C5 with a known bad engine, however got about an hour out and they turned around and went back – their weather radar crapped out. The 2 boys loved the C140's coming back as they could lay on the floor and sleep. Also on two of the flights back they took the northern route and would invite us into the cockpit to see the Northern lights (Dale styed up there for 45 minutes)

During my year in Nam I had blanket travel orders, and I did put them to good use. My first helicopter ride (Vietnamese pilots) 2nd and LAST Helicopter ride was on an army bird fling low to draw fire. Also flew on C130s, C119, and C47s The good old Goony Bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.