[SOLVED] Have a question about GPU temps.

Dec 16, 2019
Quick run down of my build specs.

Ryzen 5 2600
Evga 1660 super
Thermaletake versa h18 case
Seasonic s12 500w psu
Deepcool RF120 fans
4 patriot viper 4 4gb ram sticks.
The question i have is when i did a benchmark before the gpu temp was around 70ish and i decided to add another exhaust fan to the top of the case...I was running 3 intake and 1 exhaust before...after I installed the fan to the top of the case the gpu temps jumped to around 81ish.

I tried putting a custom fan curve profile on it with MSI afterburner but it didnt seem to help...the gpu fan speed stayed at a static rpm. after running the benchmark twice i got blue screened. When it rebooted the pc was locked up and i had to reboot it again and i was finally able to access stuff. I unplugged the top fan to see if that is what made the temps jump up that high because of possible airflow issue made from adding the new fan. The gpu temp lowered to 79 and stayed there.

I didnt change any settings in bios or anywhere else. The thing that is concerning is the sudden spike in the gpu temps and im not sure where to start looking to try and figure out what happened and how Ican get them back down to 70 where it was before. Is it possbile something happened to the mobo that would make fan on the gpu not work the way it was before? This is my first pc build and am a novice when it comes to what to possibly look at to figure out this issue.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Edit...the motherboard is a asrock b450m pro4.

Afterburner is a bit tricky. After setting the curve, you have to enable the option to hide the program when minimized, start minimized on start-up, and click the "button" that highlights the fan speed on the main panel, and also the Auto button next to it. Unfortunately, instead of text saying On or Off, the highlight opacity changes, and isn't entirely clear about whether or not it's enabled.

The way I would test this is to set your fan curves to max speed, and then click both buttons to test combos of light/dark until the speed ramps up. Then set your curve properly, and minimize the program.

Another thing about Afterburner: It needs to be open for the custom fan profile to work. If you're hitting the X button to close it, those settings stop being applied. Setting the minimize options makes it active in the background, while not actually showing up on screen.

Dec 16, 2019
You haven't described WHERE the fans are mounted. The temp rise is probably due to less efficient air flow, e.g. one or more fans are mounted backwards.

The fans are mounted correctly and I has 3 in front of case and 1 in the back ...the fan I added was to the top of the case. I unplugged the fan I added to the top and the temp still stays at 79ish.

Dec 16, 2019
Afterburner is a bit tricky. After setting the curve, you have to enable the option to hide the program when minimized, start minimized on start-up, and click the "button" that highlights the fan speed on the main panel, and also the Auto button next to it. Unfortunately, instead of text saying On or Off, the highlight opacity changes, and isn't entirely clear about whether or not it's enabled.

The way I would test this is to set your fan curves to max speed, and then click both buttons to test combos of light/dark until the speed ramps up. Then set your curve properly, and minimize the program.

Another thing about Afterburner: It needs to be open for the custom fan profile to work. If you're hitting the X button to close it, those settings stop being applied. Setting the minimize options makes it active in the background, while not actually showing up on screen.

I'll have to check that tonight...I didnt know it worked like that...hopefully that will help..I'm still a little baffled as to why the temp spiked that much from just adding a fan and then stayed there after unplugging the fan...that's what was making me think something happened to the mobo or possibly even the gpu. I do have a 1080 I can try in there to see if I get the same results.

Dec 16, 2019
what about dust in the fans on gpu and in system also your gpu need a 8 pins connector if it is a dual fans one and it seams your psu only have 6 pins gpu power cable .
It has a 6 plus 2 connector...everything was working fine until I added that top fan...the temps were at about 70ish and I figured by adding a fan I could bring it down a little more...theres minimal dust in the system.

Dec 16, 2019
see if you could use one of the front fans on top with the other and that fans you did try was it good .

When I was running 3 up front and 1 in back it was running fine...I'm gonna try my son's 1080 card and see if it has the same temp issues. I can try unplugging one up front and see what it does

Dec 16, 2019
That may be enough to disrupt an optimal air flow passing by the GPU, as it tend to be mounted closer to bottom in many cabinets.
True...the temp didnt drop after I unplugged the top fan which is what's making me think something happened to the mobo...I was gonna remove it and look at to see if I could any type of burn Mark's or popped parts.

Dec 16, 2019
I haven't been able to mess with the pc yet the rest of this week because of being swamped at work...I'm gonna have some free time tomorrow and I'm gonna try out some of the suggestions and I'll post back with hopefully some good results..thanks for all the feedback and help trying to figure out what's going on.

Dec 16, 2019
So I turned on my pc today to try a few things and it said automatic repair in progress 2 times and then gave me 0xc0000221 error. It might have been because I put a wifi adapter in it. After it restarted I opened afterburner and ran benchmark again..it hit 72c and didnt budge past and it recognized the custom fan curve. I guess the issue was I had probably closed afterburner. I'm still going to keep an eye on it the next little while though. Thanks for all the suggestions...they were very helpful. 🙂