Have a samsung 860 evo SSD, worth it to get m2?

Solution
"worth" is something only YOU can determine.
Generally, though, you will not notice a fast nvme pcie drive as noticeably faster than a conventional sata drive.
Perhaps in something like a virus scan.
OTOH, if you have the funds, why not buy a pcie m.2 drive, they do not cost all that much more.

As to the fastest m.2 device, that would be one of the Intel OPTANE device.
The big benefit is latency that is an order of magnitude better.
Most ssd activity is small low queue depth random I/O
https://hothardware.com/reviews/intel-optane-ssd-800p-review

exroofer

Distinguished
While my NVMe Samsung is much faster than my sata Evo, I can't say it is "worth it"
You will see some things go a fair bit faster, other things depend on internet speed, etc.
Of course, if you get one on sale/at a good price, it is easily transferrable to a new build, so that's a thing.
I didn't replace my sata ssd, but trather put OS and most used games/programs on the NVMe drive, with a good chunk of my game library on the sata drive.
Leaving the games that don't load things all the time on the platter.
Makes overall system performance very good.
I would get a 500 Gb one at least, so your most used/ loading heavy things can live on it.

USAFRet

Titan

1. What is your motherboard?

2. What do you use this system for?

While an 970 EVO NVMe drive is "faster", that does not always relate to "faster that the user really notices".

exroofer

Distinguished
Hmmm ya, X99 mobo too, I don't know enough about them.
I see you have 2 video cards in sli.
Are there/will there be 4 pcie lanes left over for the dedicated M2 slot?
Because it is distinctly possible it would only run at sata speeds.
I don't know enough about that gen of mobo to answer that.
But I would find out before shelling out for a new drive.

"worth" is something only YOU can determine.
Generally, though, you will not notice a fast nvme pcie drive as noticeably faster than a conventional sata drive.
Perhaps in something like a virus scan.
OTOH, if you have the funds, why not buy a pcie m.2 drive, they do not cost all that much more.

As to the fastest m.2 device, that would be one of the Intel OPTANE device.
The big benefit is latency that is an order of magnitude better.
Most ssd activity is small low queue depth random I/O
https://hothardware.com/reviews/intel-optane-ssd-800p-review

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
The main benefit from SSD over HDD is the ~100X faster access time. Most software needs to do some processing on the data it loads. Once the CPU is no longer waiting after the HDD most of the time, there is very little gain from getting even faster devices.

HDD to SATA SSD is a huge improvement in most cases while SATA to PCIe SSD is a small or even imperceptible improvement for most everyday people.