Have any 720p consumer camcorders been announced yet?

I know there was a JVC released a while back and Sony has a 1080i at
an okay price, but, I'm waiting for a 720p for under $2000. Anything
been announced yet? If it's with a 40GB hard drive, then even better.
I'm still saving but by early next year...

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 01:01:33 GMT, in 'rec.video.desktop',
in article <Have any 720p consumer camcorders been announced yet?>,
HS Crow <nomail@please.com> wrote:

>I know there was a JVC released a while back and Sony has a 1080i at
>an okay price, but, I'm waiting for a 720p for under $2000. Anything
>been announced yet? If it's with a 40GB hard drive, then even better.
>I'm still saving but by early next year...

Sony currently offers the HDR-HC1 (NTSC-compatable) and HDR-HC1E
(PAL-compatable) HDV 1080i camcorders for under USD $2000, but there's
no HDV 720p product currently available from any source at or below
that price point. I would expect that JVC is working on something, but
I wouldn't be surprised if Sharp came out with something first, but
expect it to be tape-based, not hard disk drive-based, due to cost.

Of course, if you can convince yourself that HDV 1080i is better than
HDV 720p *and* save up at a faster rate, early next year you'll be
able to pick up a Canon XL H1 for under USD $9000. HDV 1080i with 24F
mode and HD-SDI output!

--
Frank, Independent Consultant, New York, NY
[Please remove 'nojunkmail.' from address to reply via e-mail.]

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 04:14:46 GMT, Frank
<frank@nojunkmail.humanvalues.net> wrote:
>Of course, if you can convince yourself that HDV 1080i is better than
>HDV 720p *and* save up at a faster rate, early next year you'll be
>able to pick up a Canon XL H1 for under USD $9000. HDV 1080i with 24F
>mode and HD-SDI output!

My issue with 1080i is purely the difficulty of displaying and
handling it. I haven't seen any footage to compare with 720p

Smarty

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2003

Why not the JVC GR-HD1 HDV camcorder which does 720p resolution and sells
for $1899 at a reputable dealer, B and H Camera?......

see:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=278495&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Smarty

"Frank" <frank@nojunkmail.humanvalues.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 01:01:33 GMT, in 'rec.video.desktop',
> in article <Have any 720p consumer camcorders been announced yet?>,
> HS Crow <nomail@please.com> wrote:
>
>>I know there was a JVC released a while back and Sony has a 1080i at
>>an okay price, but, I'm waiting for a 720p for under $2000. Anything
>>been announced yet? If it's with a 40GB hard drive, then even better.
>>I'm still saving but by early next year...
>
> Sony currently offers the HDR-HC1 (NTSC-compatable) and HDR-HC1E
> (PAL-compatable) HDV 1080i camcorders for under USD $2000, but there's
> no HDV 720p product currently available from any source at or below
> that price point. I would expect that JVC is working on something, but
> I wouldn't be surprised if Sharp came out with something first, but
> expect it to be tape-based, not hard disk drive-based, due to cost.
>
> Of course, if you can convince yourself that HDV 1080i is better than
> HDV 720p *and* save up at a faster rate, early next year you'll be
> able to pick up a Canon XL H1 for under USD $9000. HDV 1080i with 24F
> mode and HD-SDI output!
>
> --
> Frank, Independent Consultant, New York, NY
> [Please remove 'nojunkmail.' from address to reply via e-mail.]
> Read Frank's thoughts on HDV at http://www.humanvalues.net/hdv/

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 02:09:43 -0400, in 'rec.video.desktop',
in article <Re: Have any 720p consumer camcorders been announced
yet?>,
"Smarty" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote:

(Frank wrote:)
>> Sony currently offers the HDR-HC1 (NTSC-compatable) and HDR-HC1E
>> (PAL-compatable) HDV 1080i camcorders for under USD $2000, but there's
>> no HDV 720p product currently available from any source at or below
>> that price point.

>Why not the JVC GR-HD1 HDV camcorder which does 720p resolution and sells
>for $1899 at a reputable dealer, B and H Camera?......
>
>see:
>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=278495&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Excellent! With a U.S. MSRP of $3499.95 I had no idea that anyone,
least of all B&H, was offering the GR-HD1 for anywhere near $2000, let
alone under $2000 ($1899.95 in this case).

I may just add that piece of information to my HDV Web page the next
time I update it.

Thanks again for pointing this out, and I hope that the original
poster sees it.

P.S. I just noticed that JVC's JY-HD10U, which has a U.S. MSRP of
$3995.00, is being offered by B&H for a mere $2599.95.

--

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 02:09:43 -0400, "Smarty" <nobody@nobody.com>
wrote:

>Why not the JVC GR-HD1 HDV camcorder which does 720p resolution and sells
>for $1899 at a reputable dealer, B and H Camera?......

Thanks, I was aware of the JVC but I'm UK based and I've not seen this
camera released as a PAL version in the UK.

Smarty

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2003

Not up on UK pricing I'm afraid. Since this camera has been out a very long
time (years) and the Sony HDV cameras, especially their new (under $2000
model) has profoundly reshaped the market for HDV, I would assume that the
UK dealers would be selling the JVC 720p camera at a low price also.

Smarty

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:02:52 -0400, "Smarty" <nobody@nobody.com>
wrote:

>Not up on UK pricing I'm afraid. Since this camera has been out a very long
>time (years) and the Sony HDV cameras, especially their new (under $2000
>model) has profoundly reshaped the market for HDV, I would assume that the
>UK dealers would be selling the JVC 720p camera at a low price also.

No, I don't think it was ever released in the UK

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 15:07:25 GMT, in 'rec.video.desktop',
in article <Re: Have any 720p consumer camcorders been announced
yet?>,
HS Crow <nomail@please.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 02:09:43 -0400, "Smarty" <nobody@nobody.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Why not the JVC GR-HD1 HDV camcorder which does 720p resolution and sells
>>for $1899 at a reputable dealer, B and H Camera?......
>
>Thanks, I was aware of the JVC but I'm UK based and I've not seen this
>camera released as a PAL version in the UK.

How about the JVC GR-PD1? It's a PAL-like 50 Hz 720p HDV camcorder
with a 2500 (pound sterling) list price but sells for under 2200 in
the U.K.

You can find reviews of it at the following two URLs.

JVC GR-PD1 review and test from Computer Video Magazine
http://www.computervideo.net/mar04-1.html

JVC GR-PD1 at ZDNet UK Reviews
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/camcorders/0,39023805,39118144,00.htm

Walters Photo Video has the GR-PD1 for 1999.99.

JVC GR-PD1 @ Walters Photo Video
http://www.waltersphotovideo.co.uk/details.php?id=GR-PD1&productname1=JVC%20GR-PD1

And here's a link to the product on the JVC U.K. Web site.

JVC UK - Product Centre - GR-PD1EK
http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=GR-PD1EK&catid=11

Regards,