[SOLVED] have any of you guys had a CPU die out from aging?

Dylanblaha

Reputable
Jun 21, 2020
or the GPU for that matter, i always hear that CPU/GPU will wear down but i never hear anyone talk about their CPU going technologically obsolete. Anyone here had a CPU die out on them simply from using it for a long time? or does it actually take a very long time before CPU will die

Solution
They usually go obsolete long before they would "die" ... I am sure there's still some working 8086 machines and TRS-80s out there that still work fine. Wouldn't be able to do anything more than a cheap calculator these days tho ...

The only real thing that is going to cause degradation inside the chip (besides electromigration) would be like cosmic rays or something, and those mostly all get filtered out before they reach earth. A massive solar flare like a Carrington event of 1859 would probably wreck all of them in the world though I imagine ... Humanity truly is at the mercy of the sun.

vcc98554vn

Great
Apr 18, 2020
or the GPU for that matter, i always hear that CPU/GPU will wear down but i never hear anyone talk about their CPU going technologically obsolete. Anyone here had a CPU die out on them simply from using it for a long time? or does it actually take a very long time before CPU will die
Its very hard to die if you just using normal with out delidding or overclock

I've never had a CPU die from age...usually technology has progessed to the point that the CPU in question is no longer capable (32 bit only) or the CPU was simply too slow to run what it was asked to run (usually gaming). I have a stack of pretty old CPUs at this point just because technology left them behind.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
They usually go obsolete long before they would "die" ... I am sure there's still some working 8086 machines and TRS-80s out there that still work fine. Wouldn't be able to do anything more than a cheap calculator these days tho ...

The only real thing that is going to cause degradation inside the chip (besides electromigration) would be like cosmic rays or something, and those mostly all get filtered out before they reach earth. A massive solar flare like a Carrington event of 1859 would probably wreck all of them in the world though I imagine ... Humanity truly is at the mercy of the sun.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I've never had one die. In reference to Joe's post, I do have an old 8086 machine that can still fire up. My 286, 386, 486, and Pentium 133 all work at last check, though they're long since retired from daily use (a Pentium 4 that controls my stereo system is the oldest on my network).

Reactions: joeblowsmynose

Wolfshadw

Titan
If I really wanted to, I could fire up my old PIII-800 w/128MB RAM.

No. As others have stated, most CPUs will outlive their usefulness. I've actually had two motherboards fail that retired old CPUs (Athlon II X2-4800+, Core2Duo E6600).

-Wolf sends