Have been experiencing crazy instability issues, then smoke started coming from pc cooler

Toppingpfc

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
I have experienced awful instability with my computer. Ive rmad my card. I tested my ram. I switched power supplies. Tested my drives. I’ve experienced crashing, restarts with my graphics drivers suddenly missing, I’ve reset my computer 8 times. Finally today I turned on my computer and light whitish gray smoke began coming from my cpu area. My motherboard doesn’t look burned my cpu doesn’t look burned but my cpu cooler smelled like burning electronics. Cpu: i7-7700k, motherboard asus strix z270e, ram trident z 2x8 gigs, power supply Corsair rm 750i. Could this cause my instability or is it unrelated and I’m just extremely unfortunate

Solution

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Have you tried booting the PC after it stopped smoking? I've seen this recently, its most likely your MOBO died and took the CPU with it. Its a good chance your PSU caused this, it could have sent too many volts over the 12v rail, too much for your VRM's to handle and it got sent straight to the CPU. Hard to know for sure though.

Toppingpfc

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

I have not turned it back on. I freaked out and shut it down then took the cpu out as well as my ram and graphics card

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Do you happen to have a different board you can test the CPU in? Just don't test a good CPU in the old board it could take that one down too, assuming the board failed.

Toppingpfc

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

No unfortunately I don’t I only have the one board.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

I'd say its safe to say the board and PSU are dead, its possible the CPU still works, your ram and other drives should be fine

Toppingpfc

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

I luckily have another power supply. I think it could be the board which is why I was experiencing such severe instability even after the rma.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

You can try the board with the new PSU it shouldn't hurt the PSU, worse comes to worst the board is a little more damaged but everything should be fine. I don't recommend doing that, its best to just get a new board.

Toppingpfc

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

I think I’ll just leave it be. I need some new thermal paste as well. I will contact asus and ask them about the board. If they don’t replace it then I’ll buying a gigabyte or someone else

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

MSI and Gigabyte make great boards, I'd also recommend IC Diamond or Thermal Grizzly for thermal paste.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS