Have CPU, need mobo advice

dadeo

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I have a new AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Black Box and am wondering what the best bang for the buck motherboard would be for it? Not so many are rated for the 125W TDP of the 6400+. Any suggestions appreciated. Looking for reliable, economical and decent on-board gfx.

dadeo

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Thanks P.. Those both have ATI Radeon HD 3300 gfx. Is that about the best on board? I game some but not much so high-end performance isn't needed. I may add a decent video card later.

dadeo

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Sounds good! So in your guys' opinion, in order of your preference, which on board graphics should be avoided and which are the good ones?

When you are talking about on board graphics, the Geforce 9300 boards probably win. However, the chipset is not that good over all. NVidia has pretty much lost the chipset battle.

That leaves you with the Intel G45 boards and the AMD 790GX.

G45 boards are all micro ATX and do not support crossfire.

That leaves you with 790GX :) It's the best board to start an upgrade with when your budget is low, because it comes with a decent GPU and can be upgraded with a decent Phenom II CPU.

dadeo

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Thanks for the advice Proximon. The 790GX is a good one then. How about any I should steer away from? Any real clinkers out there?

dadeo

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009

So I gather you're not a Foxconn fan Shadow703793? The model mentioned, Foxconn A7GM-S, seems to have many features for the money. I'd always liked Asus and Gigabyte and DFI seemed a little too good for me as they seem like a pricier, high-end board.

I'll keep this in mind when I finally pull the trigger on one. I'm making a list of viable boards then I'll go thru them on the various forums and look for bad reviews, etc and get the one that does the best.

My list so far:
GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2HP
ASUS M2A-VM
ASUS M3A78 Pro
ASUS M3A78-EM
BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M
Foxconn A7GM-S
ASRock AOD790GX/128M

Not one DFI made my list so far. Any suggestions/favorites? What about Biostar?

Well i actually did a rig for a dude off the mATX version TA790GX XE and i would love to know how far all that Tseries OC software, ACC , etc could take the 940BE let alone good old fashioned BIOS OC hehe