[SOLVED] Have I damaged my AM4 Socket?

Feb 21, 2020
Removed by moderator, site is malware infested and tries to auto download files
So Today while I was installing my Athlon 200GE into the AM4 Socket, I had a bit problem in installing the cpu cooler due to which my cpu pins got broken, I realised that I'll have to get a new CPU but when I looked at my socket it looked kinda damaged. Have I damages this as well.
Kindly zoom in a bit into the image to see if everything is right or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
From what I can see the socket looks fine, the CPU pins are pretty delicate so it wouldn't cause that much damage to the socket, as long as the pins are not lodged in the socket itself it should be fine. Just shine a light in the socket once more and check for any physical damage.

Also when you say broken pins, if they're just bent you could bend them back upright yourself. Use a hairpin or needle, something incredibly thin but tough, so you don't break the pins off entirely.
From what I can see the socket looks fine, the CPU pins are pretty delicate so it wouldn't cause that much damage to the socket, as long as the pins are not lodged in the socket itself it should be fine. Just shine a light in the socket once more and check for any physical damage.

Also when you say broken pins, if they're just bent you could bend them back upright yourself. Use a hairpin or needle, something incredibly thin but tough, so you don't break the pins off entirely.

Solution
Feb 21, 2020
What may actually work for the pins is a mechanical pencil.

Something like this maybe.

https://www.amazon.com/Rite-Rain-Al...d_t=101&pf_rd_i=1069816&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

But take the lead out.

I actually want to know that Is it possible for the socket to be damaged, If Yes then how it could happen?

Feb 21, 2020
Images here
Look closely and you'll notice that the processor isn't properly fixed inside the socket, It's clearly visible that some of the pins aren't inside the socket?
What may be causing this. The attached image is after closing the retention clip
Please Help.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020
The triangle on the cpu is aligned at the same corner with the triangle at the cpu socket?
Yes I've aligned that correctly, yet all the pins doesn't go properly in the socket For rest of the pins all of them set correctly but only the ones shown in the image doesn't go in properly.

Believe it or not... this actually happened to me on my first install of a ryzen processor. I just opened the retention bracket realigned the CPU with the triangle and gave it a VERY gentle wiggle... it went in completely after that.

Just try again and be careful with the pins. Handle it gently. You don't want any of them bent.
Also don't close the retention bracket if all of your pins are not in the socket

Unknown E

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2016
Make sure your Motherboard has the model that's made specifically for the type of CPU you're going to put it. Different generation CPU's come with different pin counts.

Motherboards should be able to have a CPU on it when the CPU is compatible with the Motherboard. Please specify your Motherboard and CPU

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Have you tried the above suggestion?
Believe it or not... this actually happened to me on my first install of a ryzen processor. I just opened the retention bracket realigned the CPU with the triangle and gave it a VERY gentle wiggle... it went in completely after that.

Just try again and be careful with the pins. Handle it gently. You don't want any of them bent.
Also don't close the retention bracket if all of your pins are not in the socket