[SOLVED] Have I fitted the bracket wrong on my heatsink? Motherboard issues

KP1990

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012
Hi guys

So over the past year or so, I've had terrible luck with my motherboards, had to replace 2 in the last year

Replaced it now, for a 3rd time, but this time with a brand new cpu, some new ddr4 ram and a new PSU just incase it was that causing me issues, along with some surge protected plug sockets.. So it hasn't been cheap however I'm starting to fear maybe its been doing this due to me installing my cooler master hyper 212 EVO incorrectly

Looks like I foolishly put the bracket on the wrong way around, could this be why I've been having to many failures? :-\

I've included photos of the bracket and how it's installed, however I think the holes are meant to line up with the parts on the motherboard?

Is this an issue and do I need to resit my heatsink?

I've checked for other possible causes into my bad luck, no thermal paste from what I can tell has gotten on my new motherboard, the copper pipes on the 212 EVO heatsink do get VERY close to some capacitors on the motherboard however they're not touching it, and I've also made sure no other metal objects are touching the motherboard (like a loose wire for example)

I'ts been a very expensive venture and if I could figure out why I've been having such bad luck, it'd really help me sleep at night as I worry the same thing is going to happen with my shiny new cpu and motherboard

Thanks...

jCDBBLT.jpg

EzylgvG.jpg

Solution
Ok so I've sorted it now, had to take out entire motherboard and reapply thermal paste, but at least that's dealt with now

I'll include some new pictures, including everything cabled up (minus the GPU) just to see if everything seems normal?

Nothing has already happened yet, at least with this mobo.. The first one that went I had for about 3 years, and I think actually went not long after installing this new heatsink, then the 2nd one (the replacement) only lasted about 3-4 months.. Now I'm on my 3rd one

Hopefully I won't run into any more problems, on top of the bracket being on properly now, there is a brand new PSU inside and the PC is plugged into surge protected sockets now.. There's defintely no thermal paste accidently got...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yep, you mounted it sideways.
In your current configuration, there are bottomed out ends of screws that should be positioned with the 3 holes on the heatsink's backplate.
Those 3 screws are likely making contact with the backplate and causing a short - maybe, but it's probably why you've kept having failures.

I'll see if I can post a pic of a 212 heatsink on one of my old motherboards.

KP1990

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012
Yep, you mounted it sideways.
In your current configuration, there are bottomed out ends of screws that should be positioned with the 3 holes on the heatsink's backplate.
Those 3 screws are likely making contact with the backplate and causing a short - maybe, but it's probably why you've kept having failures.

I'll see if I can post a pic of a 212 heatsink on one of my old motherboards.

Ok, so is pretty important that I fix that ASAP?

If I turn off my PC and wait until tomorrow should be fine though? It's pretty late here now

I just hope there's not been some permanent damage done to my new motherboard, it's been setup this way for a few days now

KP1990

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012
Ok so I've sorted it now, had to take out entire motherboard and reapply thermal paste, but at least that's dealt with now

I'll include some new pictures, including everything cabled up (minus the GPU) just to see if everything seems normal?

Nothing has already happened yet, at least with this mobo.. The first one that went I had for about 3 years, and I think actually went not long after installing this new heatsink, then the 2nd one (the replacement) only lasted about 3-4 months.. Now I'm on my 3rd one

Hopefully I won't run into any more problems, on top of the bracket being on properly now, there is a brand new PSU inside and the PC is plugged into surge protected sockets now.. There's defintely no thermal paste accidently got onto the mobo and everything seems secure

If it ends up dying, I really have no idea what's causing it.. But if that happens, think I'll just give up and take it into a computer shop for a professional to look at :p

The brackets been on my new motherboard like that, for maybe about a week now? Or just a little over.. I just hope no permanent damage has been done in that time!

Thanks for your help

KPMo6Ai.jpg

suqRiff.jpg

Zh6lnhQ.jpg

Solution

KP1990

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012
It's mounted horizontially, I think its just the angle I took the photo at

Here's same photo but rotated

sEAkK3C.jpg

PSU at bottom, heatink at top.

The fans I think the blades/fans themselves are facing away from the heatsink and the logo facing towards the grill .. so I think in-take? it might be possible to be it on the otherside, underneath the heatsink and closer to where the GPU is as an out-take perhaps?