Question Have I got the necessary parts for my new gaming pc?

Apr 7, 2019
So long story short, for my birthday I’ve ordered some computer parts to build my first gaming computer. Instead of buying an HDD, I’ve only got an SDD. Is only this enough for my pc as I’ve finished building it and am onto the setup stage and when I power on my computer the monitor just says “Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key...”. Can my SSD be used as a boot device and if so what do I do to get rid of this message?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ssd = hdd. Both the same thing, storage. So yes, on a new pc it can be used as a boot device.
No reason why you need one over the other, many pc's just have ssd for storage. The only consideration is budget. You can get 4Tb hdd for under $100. A 4Tb ssd costs $550-$8000 or so.
Considering the needs of larger than 1Tb of storage, the HDD is still very much alive and kicking. Plenty of games with DLC's are over 100Gb each, so many OS SSDs are stretched thin on room as they usually range from 250Gb to 500Gb, many older systems having just a 120Gb still.

Would I get an hdd? 1-2Tb for under $60, yep.

yes you can use an SSD as a boot device as long as its 32gb or larger.

Your PC is looking for a boot device, which would be a drive with windows 10 installed, or a windows 10 install tool (CD, USB). Go ahead and try installing windows. If you continue to have issues, go into your bios and select what device you want your PC to boot from.

At some point you may want to add and HDD as they can store a lot more for cheaper.

Apr 7, 2019
yes you can use an SSD as a boot device as long as its 32gb or larger.

Your PC is looking for a boot device, which would be a drive with windows 10 installed, or a windows 10 install tool (CD, USB). Go ahead and try installing windows. If you continue to have issues, go into your bios and select what device you want your PC to boot from.

At some point you may want to add and HDD as they can store a lot more for cheaper.
I have copy+pasted the contents of the windows 10 iso file onto my sans disk usb stick and plugged it into my pc yet it still shows the same message. Anyone know if I’ve done something wrong? I put the files on the usb from Mac by the way.

I have copy+pasted the contents of the windows 10 iso file onto my sans disk usb stick and plugged it into my pc yet it still shows the same message. Anyone know if I’ve done something wrong? I put the files on the usb from Mac by the way.
was the contents made with the windows 10 media creation tool? if not do that. Once your USB is ready have it plugged into your desktop turn it on and enter the bios(look up how to do this for your motherboard), and set your boot device priority to select your USB stick. You should now be able to start installing windows. Once you install windows you will have to go into the bios and select boot priority to your SSD.