[SOLVED] Have I reached my OC limit?

Jun 29, 2019
Hey, guys, I have a i7-4790k and I'm currently at 4.7 dual-core and 4.6 multicore at 1.22 volts with what I would consider safe temps ~84C. I don't intend to game or constantly push my system on a heavy OC but with everything going on right now I have some free time at home and this seemed like a fun way to kill time. When trying to go to 4.7 all core or higher my system crashes even up at 1.3v. I read somewhere that 1.3 is the "safe" threshold. This is my first time overclocking a CPU so any input would be great. I'll attach the settings from Intel Extreme Tuning. I know some people don't like this tool but I got lost in all jargon when trying to do it through bios so I'm trying to get my feet wet somewhere. Have I hit the limit of my CPU without cranking the voltage to stupid levels? or am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance.

aUiWiHZ.png

Solution
Set all stock in "Intel Extreme Tuning " and go to bios, always overclock in Bios.
Secondly check what is the quality is your power supply, you can find multiple reviews on most models, always use good quality power supply or your overclocks fail and might cause damage to components.

Up the voltage until you reach 85c (on any of the cores , max temperature) under stress tests like aida64. Dont go above 1.35v (this is only with good cooler)

Ralston18

Titan
This:

" I read somewhere that 1.3 is the "safe" threshold. "

Read the applicable User Guide/Manuals for the CPU and motherboard.

Read all of the fine print and notes.

Visit the applicable manufacturer websites and find the supported configurations and limitations.

Be sure that your system has a PSU that can support the load imposed.

Some people discover things that seem to work and post/YouTube those "discoveries."

Yes, those things may indeed work but only for awhile before killing the system.

Details matter.

Set all stock in "Intel Extreme Tuning " and go to bios, always overclock in Bios.
Secondly check what is the quality is your power supply, you can find multiple reviews on most models, always use good quality power supply or your overclocks fail and might cause damage to components.

Up the voltage until you reach 85c (on any of the cores , max temperature) under stress tests like aida64. Dont go above 1.35v (this is only with good cooler)

Solution
Hey, guys, I have a i7-4790k and I'm currently at 4.7 dual-core and 4.6 multicore at 1.22 volts with what I would consider safe temps ~84C. I don't intend to game or constantly push my system on a heavy OC but with everything going on right now I have some free time at home and this seemed like a fun way to kill time. When trying to go to 4.7 all core or higher my system crashes even up at 1.3v. I read somewhere that 1.3 is the "safe" threshold. This is my first time overclocking a CPU so any input would be great. I'll attach the settings from Intel Extreme Tuning. I know some people don't like this tool but I got lost in all jargon when trying to do it through bios so I'm trying to get my feet wet somewhere. Have I hit the limit of my CPU without cranking the voltage to stupid levels? or am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance.

aUiWiHZ.png
Anything higher and you will be over 84C.
Look at what others are achieving. I believe you are pretty much at the max.
Why you want to go higher than 4.6Ghz?

zx128k

Reputable
Anything higher and you will be over 84C.
Look at what others are achieving. I believe you are pretty much at the max.
Why you want to go higher than 4.6Ghz?

He stated he is bored, wants to overclock to save time.

I don't intend to game or constantly push my system on a heavy OC but with everything going on right now I have some free time at home and this seemed like a fun way to kill time.