Question have i set my memory slots correctly ?

Chriss Angeh

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015
i recently got a new memory ram stick and this one is from a different brand, i already had set my previous rams as dual channel and they both are from the same brand since i purchase them in a dual package.
what im wondering is , if by adding this third stick breaks the already set dual channel on my system, will my system not work properly as it used to before? or do i need to change the slot position ? i checked cpuz and i noticed how my gskills that has xmp now says single on the rank, unlike my generic ram which says dual.

View: https://imgur.com/a/a5kpyFS

If you have a dual channel board you should really install memory in pairs. Your system may work fine with an extra stick but your timings and memory speed will most likely suffer and your system will drop down into single channel mode (if it works at all). Also, if though your system is stable with the extra memory it may have issues when under memory stress.
If it were me, and the system didn't specifically need the extra RAM, I would leave it out and just stick with the 2 matched sticks in dual channel mode. Even if I really needed the extra RAM I would still probably just by a larger kit (like 2x8GB), making sure my motherboard supports it, of course.