• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Have I used too much thermal paste? Is the layer too thick?

Matthew Wai

Honorable
Jan 9, 2015
Have I used too much paste? Is the layer too thick?
I carelessly squeezed too much out. The intended amount was just the size of a pea.

The room temperature is now 31.5°C.

ex_bubblehead

Champion
Then why are you here asking for advice? Seems you already made the decision. You only need enough compound to fill the microscopic imperfections between surfaces, any more than that is both a waste and impediment to heat transfer. You may not have any issues now, while the paste is new, but when it starts to dry you'll be back, complaining about how temperatures are no longer acceptable.

Rodrigodrt

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014
Note that too much is less worse than too little, you will want to try to find the right amount yourself, put dot and and seat it, then remove the block again, check if covers the entire area of the processor, no? put a little more, when you find the right amount that covers the entire area and doest leak over the sides (a little is fine) then you're probably at your ideal amount.

however, thats being a bit crazy about, if your temps are fine, theres no need whatsoever to be worrying much about it

Matthew Wai

Honorable
Jan 9, 2015
I hope the excessive paste was already squeezed out by the heatsink.
The room temperature and CPU temperature are 31.5°C and 42°C respectively at this moment.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS