have option to select 144hz, but doesn't work.

Nov 5, 2018
Hi, I recently purchased a 144hz 1440p monitor but i have been using it on HDMI cable (so i've only been getting 100hz).

I've decided it's time to stop wasting my glorious thing's potential and went out to buy a DP cable.

Everything is so not glorious as I thought it would be! I can choose 144hz option on both Windows and Nvidia control panel, and my monitor's own 'settings' page shows I am indeed receiving 144hz signal, Everything is running supper choppy (actually worse than 60hz for some reason).

I've upgraded my nvidia driver, but still with no luck. on 1080p, i can get the 144hz output just fine for some reason (and it's so so glorious!!). Obviously everything is blurry however.

Is there anything I can do?

System information are:

i5-6600k OC'ed (tested without just in case, same result)

gtx1070 OC'ed (tested without just in case, same result) latest driver off the nvidia website

16GB dual channel ddr3

2x 500gb m.2 nvme

all on Asus Z170-E mobo (updated bios as well, just in case if that was some issue. same result)

Nov 5, 2018

hi Barty!

I have BenQ EX3203R. It doesn't seem to have a separate option other than a switch between DP 1.1 and 1.4. I have it set up to 1.4, but changing it to 1.1 doesn't seem to do much at all.

It is quite strange the the monitor is reporting it is indeed receiving 144hz input yet it clearly doesn't seem like it.

Nov 5, 2018

I'm on Display Port. On HDMI, I can get up to 100hz on 1440p and I can definitely tell it is indeed running on 100Hz (or something like that, rather. It's smoother than 60hz).

Thank you for your suggestion anyway!

Nov 5, 2018

I was told HDMI 144hz on 1440p is a limitation on the bandwidth of the standard of HDMI. 1440p and higher resolution @ higher than 100hz can only be outputted on DVI dual link OR DisplayPort.

Nov 5, 2018

I found a botched solution to freesync on nvidia by using an AMD cpu with onboard graphics. I have intel cpu and even if I had an amd cpu, probably not willing to do that anyway.

I have disabled freesync using in-monitor settings. But that is interesting. I must have been using a lesser hdmi cable? even so, I have ordered a new DP cable to check if I have a defect.

Thank you for your help!