Have RTX cards proved themselves? Buying a 2080, maybe.

So, wondering here if RTX cards have proved themselves or they're a flop, to my knowledge, at least until a while ago there was no games with RT or DLSS just some demos, if I'm not wrong some final fantasy X-someting.

anyways, got a good deal on a MSI 2080 Ventus OC, its actually going for pretty much the same price of that of a 2070, and i'm considering buying it, im quite positive i'll never be going anything higher than 1440p and for at least an year i'll be within the 1080p range so...

is the 2080 advisable atm?

also, heard some talks about RTX without the raytracing thing, is that a thing or a hoax? my old 980 is feeling the effects of its age...

Phazoner

Distinguished
At the price of the 2070, sure. In my opinion the lack of compatibility of DLSS and Raytracing (and the questionable performance) make the RTX cards not really worth it but as I said a 2080 at the price of a 2070 feels like a really attractive deal to me. If you are playing at 60FPS, RTX can be a thing for you (the performance has been greatly improved). I don't know if at 1440p the 2080 will be enough for RTX@60FPS, but if it isn't you will probably get a sensitive image quality bump using DLSS in the most requiring/advanced games grafically-wise.

Well... about that. There is still woefully little on the market for games that support RTX or DLSS. In normal games they run just fine, with great performance, but the level of performance you get still doesn't justify the price compared to the last generation of cards.

I would say that if you can get a good deal on them then jump on it. Especially if a monitor upgrade is in your future. The 2080 will look great on a high refresh rate 1440p monitor.

I wouldn't say that it is normally an advisable purchase, but if the price is right it is worth it.

Yeah, high end cards without RTX probably won't ever be a thing, but NVidia is looking at releasing a 1060 or 1070 class card without RTX, it would be like buying your 980 again in terms of performance, I wouldn't recommend it.

Captaingadget

Reputable
Jan 20, 2017
I would say you should see a significant improvement going from a 980 to a 2080. Obviously depends on what CPU/mobo/RAM you have as well but I would have a look at the benchmark results and see what you think https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2080-gaming-oc-8g,5879.html

You should be looking to double your FPS over a 980 really. Regards ray tracing and DLSS, there's only one game out now that uses ray tracing and it remains to be seen whether it will take off, it might be great, it might become irrelevant. My advice would be to disregard this in your decision and only buy if the performance improvement without it merits the upgrade.

Well, in all honesty the 980 still handles everything on sorta high/ultra @ 1080p by aroundish 60fps, i use witcher 3 for comparison and i get about 60 fps mostly everywhere with the usual drops of course, but averaging that -with- hairworks on, but a bit on the edge there.

regardless, after some research i decided to move for a 24" 144hz 1080p monitor, 27 for 1080p would be too big, and for 1440p too small, it may sound confusing but for some reason i felt a bit eye straining to go for 1440p with a 27", maybe a 32" screen.

anyways, what im sure is that i'll at least guarantee the 60fps min plus whatever i can get for the 144hz, and since i've found this card for about (doing a crude conversion here since i dont use euro or usd) 550$ i thought it would be a good deal.

What remains is the usual doubts, if RT flops you're paying an extra for a tech that.. well, flopped, i doubt however i'll get the same deal again.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
100% ray tracing will be a thing. a big one....in the futures (how in the future nobody knows) ray tracing will replace rasterazation completely. But we are not there yet.

Correct is that not many games with ray tracing are available. Actually its only BF5. But Metro Exodus will launch very soon with Ray Tracing. And we just got an update that Shadow of of the Tomb Raider is about to finally get Ray Tracing. In regards to DLSS, BF5 will get support tomorrow and Anthem will feature DLSS. More and more future games will support Ray Tracing and DLSS. Its coming, but slow. Also, I am pretty sure that AMD will bring Ray Tracing to its Navi generation. They kinda have to.

And some industry rumors talking that the next gen Xbox will feature ray tracing as well.

I like what I see in BF5. Basically ray tracing in BF5 ruined all non-ray traced puddles in other games for me....LOL

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Oh, and yes, the RTX 2080 is serving me very well. I play all my current games in Ultra details in WQHD 1440p and have frame rates between 60 and 110fps (depending on the game) on all current games.

AC : Odyssey is around 65 to 75fps
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is around 90 to 100fps
Kingdom Come Deliverance is around 60 to 80 (with some drops under 60)
Battlefield 5 with Ray Tracing (high) is between 60 and 75fps
Far Cry 5 is between 100 to 110 fps
Wolfenstein II New Colossus is around 140fps

Again, everything on Ultra Settings in 1440p.

Sav4

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2013
Oh, and yes, the RTX 2080 is serving me very well. I play all my current games in Ultra details in WQHD 1440p and have frame rates between 60 and 110fps (depending on the game) on all current games.

AC : Odyssey is around 65 to 75fps
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is around 90 to 100fps
Kingdom Come Deliverance is around 60 to 80 (with some drops under 60)
Battlefield 5 with Ray Tracing (high) is between 60 and 75fps
Far Cry 5 is between 100 to 110 fps
Wolfenstein II New Colossus is around 140fps

Again, everything on Ultra Settings in 1440p.
Which rtx 2080 are you using?