[SOLVED] Have several SSD's setup for video, audio, animation build

Jan 11, 2019
The computer is almost finished and I'm ready to start screwing up the BIOS.

I will be using Windows 7.1 with platform update due to vintage gear with the audio plus solid drivers and firmware.

The SSD's keep it quiet. I'm in a small room that's been treated, will be doing acoustic recording, must avoid noise.

But with these three programs plus the add-ons that can come with and bought, I'd like to break up the drives so not to write to one drive or to another too much.

I have several ways to setups drives up myself but I'm starting to loose it a bit.

Would to have to have everyone put their 2cents in and tell me how they would do it.

Don't leave anything out like, where the temp files go, Libraries, etc...

I do have some HDD's for backup but they are outside of the Computer.

The MOBO I'm on has 10 sataIII port.

Use as many drive as you like or as little.

Here are the drives:
2x 250GB SSD's
5x 500GB SSD's
2x 1TB SSD's

A big thanks in advance

Solution

Yeah, that's pretty good.
Any change from that would be mere nitpicking and personal preference. The performance difference between the 850 and 860 EVO's is about zero.

Windows and applications have gotten really good about using multiple drives and drive letters.
Almost always, the applications let you set where the cache file will reside, where any...

USAFRet

Titan
My current drive setup:
Vd60kOB.png

From top to bottom
500GB - OS and applications
250GB - CAD/Video/music work
250GB - cache space for all the photo/video/CAD applications, windows page file
1TB - docs/games/whatever doesn't fit elsewhere
1TB - brand new, still finding its use
500GB - photo work and associated plugins

Basically, each use case gets its own physical drive.

Jan 11, 2019

Okay what do you think from top to bottom?
500GB Samsung 850evo OS and applications
1TB Samsung 860evo Video and Animation work
500GB Samsung 850evo Audio Recording work
500GB Samsung 850evo Samples for Audio/ Video FX
500GB Samsung 860evo Video Preload
250GB Samsung 850evo cache space for all the music/video/photo/animation applications, windows page file

Thanks

USAFRet

Titan

Yeah, that's pretty good.
Any change from that would be mere nitpicking and personal preference. The performance difference between the 850 and 860 EVO's is about zero.

Windows and applications have gotten really good about using multiple drives and drive letters.
Almost always, the applications let you set where the cache file will reside, where any plugins/libraries might be, and where to default save to.

Solution
Jan 11, 2019

By all means nitpick/personal preference away,
I'm tired of questioning and answering myself I'm beginning to talk to myself.

Thanks

Jan 11, 2019
Anyone have any thoughts?

It would help if I new what these files were/meant for these drives, Cache, Temp, Media Cache, Render, Scratch, vst's, plugins and whatever else.
Seems maybe these terms are used universally sometimes, helps keep me confused. Brain Fart
If anyone would care to elaborate on this, it would be most deeply appreciated.

Thanks In Advance

USAFRet

Titan

All of those except "plugins" are basically the same thing - designated temporary space for an application to write to, in the process of manipulating the file in question.
Having that on its own small drive is beneficial, because the application and OS doesn't have to write to the same drive as the file you're manipulating. Leverage the available drive space.

Plugins are basically preset settings, to achieve a repeatable outcome.
For instance, with one of my CAD programs, I have a plugin for a "bolt". All I have to do is designate the diameter, threads per inch, and length. It draws the whole bolt, so I don't have to do all that manually.
For a photo application, a plugin for a certain film processing type.
For music, a desired sound.
Repeatable outcome for every file you apply it to.

USAFRet

Titan

For nitpicking, I meant for someone else that happens upon this thread.
Looks good to me...:D

For "personal preference"...some people really like the concept of ONE drive for everything. Maybe two.
My pref is the drive lineup you see above. ;)