Have they done away with Hard Core characters?

I was unable to create a new HC character, it wasn't offered as an option.
What gives?

--
Rusty
www.rbwaters.com

Russell B. Waters wrote::
> I was unable to create a new HC character, it wasn't offered as an option.
> What gives?

IIRC you need to finish normal difficulty first. So if this is a new
account, you have to go through the game once in normal mode, then you
can make HC characters.

If you already did that, I don't know what's wrong.

--
c.u. Hajo

"Hansjoerg Malthaner" <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:398bnmF5qfdciU1@individual.net...
> Russell B. Waters wrote::
> > I was unable to create a new HC character, it wasn't offered as an
option.
> > What gives?
>
> IIRC you need to finish normal difficulty first. So if this is a new
> account, you have to go through the game once in normal mode, then you
> can make HC characters.

Didn't they remove this in 1.10?

Rudi

"Russell B. Waters" <russell.waters@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I was unable to create a new HC character, it wasn't offered as an option.
> What gives?

Are you playing SP/MP or on Battlenet? What version do you play? If you play
1.09, then you have to finish normal diificulty first, before you can start
HC. If you play 1.10, then you don't need a SC char. You can start directly.
Please note that you can have only eight characters per Battlent account.
Maybe that's your problem. Make a new account and continue :)

HTH

Rudi

"Falko Rudolph" <falkorudolph@gmx.de> wrote in message

> "Russell B. Waters" <russell.waters@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> I was unable to create a new HC character, it wasn't offered as an
>> option.
>> What gives?
>
> Are you playing SP/MP or on Battlenet? What version do you play? If you
> play
> 1.09, then you have to finish normal diificulty first, before you can
> start
> HC. If you play 1.10, then you don't need a SC char. You can start
> directly.
> Please note that you can have only eight characters per Battlent account.
> Maybe that's your problem. Make a new account and continue :)

I only have three characters, but none of them have completed the normal
difficulty level.
I'll bet that's why.
I do it on the Battlenet (US East).

"Hansjoerg Malthaner" <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote in message
> Russell B. Waters wrote::
>> I was unable to create a new HC character, it wasn't offered as an
>> option.
>> What gives?
>
> IIRC you need to finish normal difficulty first. So if this is a new
> account, you have to go through the game once in normal mode, then you can
> make HC characters.
>
> If you already did that, I don't know what's wrong.

I have the 1.10 version, and I haven't completed normal mode yet, so I'll
bet that's the issue.
Thanks!
Rusty

Falko Rudolph wrote:
> "Russell B. Waters" <russell.waters@gmail.com> schrieb im
> Newsbeitrag news:ElCXd.48887$r55.14922@attbi_s52...
> > I was unable to create a new HC character, it wasn't offered as
> > an option. What gives?
>
> Are you playing SP/MP or on Battlenet? What version do you play? If
> you play
> 1.09, then you have to finish normal diificulty first, before you
> can start HC. If you play 1.10, then you don't need a SC char. You
> can start directly.

That is incorrect. You need to play through normal with one character
first, then any account accessed from that PC can create HC characters
immediately (iirc that is described in the patch log too). You could
also change a certain registry setting in order to circumvent the
restriction.

--
AGD2 FAQ: http://www.gunde.de/diablo2/agd2faq.html

"Gundemarie Scholz" <spamyousilly@inbox.ru> wrote in message
> Falko Rudolph wrote:
>> "Russell B. Waters" <russell.waters@gmail.com> schrieb im
>> Newsbeitrag news:ElCXd.48887$r55.14922@attbi_s52...
>> > I was unable to create a new HC character, it wasn't offered as
>> > an option. What gives?
>>
>> Are you playing SP/MP or on Battlenet? What version do you play? If
>> you play
>> 1.09, then you have to finish normal diificulty first, before you
>> can start HC. If you play 1.10, then you don't need a SC char. You
>> can start directly.
>
> That is incorrect. You need to play through normal with one character
> first, then any account accessed from that PC can create HC characters
> immediately (iirc that is described in the patch log too). You could
> also change a certain registry setting in order to circumvent the
> restriction.

Just out of curiosity, not that I'd ever do such a thing.....but....how
*does* one change the registry to disable that setting?

--
Rusty
www.rbwaters.com

> --
> AGD2 FAQ: http://www.gunde.de/diablo2/agd2faq.html

mark

"Gundemarie Scholz" <spamyousilly@inbox.ru> wrote in message

> You could
> also change a certain registry setting in order to circumvent the
> restriction.

Or get someone to Email you a SP HC character. Let me know if you want one.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury

(snip)

> >If you play 1.10, then you don't need a SC char. You
> > can start directly.
>
> That is incorrect.

Sorry then. I was pretty sure, but maybe the registry setting survived the
reinstall.

Rudi

Falko Rudolph wrote:
> (snip)
>
> > > If you play 1.10, then you don't need a SC char. You
> > > can start directly.
> >
> > That is incorrect.
>
> Sorry then. I was pretty sure, but maybe the registry setting
> survived the reinstall.

You probably had an account with a HC character already, and that is
enough. To quote from a posting last year (http://snipurl.com/dcku):

"\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Diablo II\Allow
Hardcore"
It is a REG_DWORD field (create it if it doesn't exist already) and
needs to be set to 1.

--

"Mark" <bongofury@verizon.net> wrote in message

> "Gundemarie Scholz" <spamyousilly@inbox.ru> wrote in message
>>
>> You could
>> also change a certain registry setting in order to circumvent the
>> restriction.
>
> Or get someone to Email you a SP HC character. Let me know if you want
> one.
>
> Regards-
> Mark
>
> Bongo-Fury

That'd be great Mark, my email addy is russell.waters@gmail.com
Thanks!

--
Rusty
www.rbwaters.com

"Hansjoerg Malthaner" <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote in message
> Russell B. Waters wrote::
>> I was unable to create a new HC character, it wasn't offered as an
>> option.
>> What gives?
>
> IIRC you need to finish normal difficulty first. So if this is a new
> account, you have to go through the game once in normal mode, then you can
> make HC characters.
>
> If you already did that, I don't know what's wrong.
>
> --
> c.u. Hajo

There is a hack you can download that overcomes this restriction.