Have to boot my pc twice (need help)

vezi244

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
Hello everyone so today I have a super quick question. Right now what im using for my setup is a dell xps (I cant remember the number's) but it came with an i7 - 2600 and I installed a gtx 1050ti inside of it everything else is stock to the system.

So anyways folks I have a little problem with my computer. Whenever i want to boot it up I press the power button once and nothing happend's, then I press it again and my computer turns on. I was thinking this might be a psu problem but after the boot everything works fine.

If this information helps
-I turn my computer off using the button on the case

Solution
I think some computers are deliberately designed to require the power button to be held down to activate, so that you can't accidentally knock into it and power your machine off. I don't know if that applies to your case, or if there are settings to change the behavior.

Another thing I've noticed on my Mom's 5 year old Alienware X51 desktop, is that the power button is long in shape, and actually needs a fairly specific angle of attack to activate it. Press the wrong part of the button, and it can appear to not be working. If you are changing your method of pressing the button the 2nd time around, such as by using more force, or being more determined and changing the angle of your thumb or something, it could affect your results...

bvanevery

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018
I think some computers are deliberately designed to require the power button to be held down to activate, so that you can't accidentally knock into it and power your machine off. I don't know if that applies to your case, or if there are settings to change the behavior.

Another thing I've noticed on my Mom's 5 year old Alienware X51 desktop, is that the power button is long in shape, and actually needs a fairly specific angle of attack to activate it. Press the wrong part of the button, and it can appear to not be working. If you are changing your method of pressing the button the 2nd time around, such as by using more force, or being more determined and changing the angle of your thumb or something, it could affect your results. To compare apples to apples, you should be pressing the power button exactly the same way every time and know for sure you did so.

Solution