Question Have to manually select what drive I boot from

captainthedog

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016
Hi, I have a problem with my computer. I recently added an old drive to my computer and since then I have to click f12 and select my drive manually. I formatted the old drive but if I don’t select the original drive manually when my computer starts, it’ll start doing a repair that ends up failing. I also have a prompt to “press a key within 8 seconds to skip disk checking..” Please let me know how I could fix this, thank you!!

Lutfij

Titan
Did you remove all partitions from the older drive, once you were able to get into the OS? Also, what is the make and model of your current drive? What are the specs to your current system?

Might also want to see that your motherboard BIOS is up to date. OS version?

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Hi, I have a problem with my computer. I recently added an old drive to my computer and since then I have to click f12 and select my drive manually. I formatted the old drive but if I don’t select the original drive manually when my computer starts, it’ll start doing a repair that ends up failing. I also have a prompt to “press a key within 8 seconds to skip disk checking..” Please let me know how I could fix this, thank you!!
What is your mainboard? You should select your boot drive in your BIOS. Somehow your active drive does not have an active partition, and that forces you to select the drive to boot.

Enter BIOS and select the right drive to boot.

captainthedog

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016
What is your mainboard? You should select your boot drive in your BIOS. Somehow your active drive does not have an active partition, and that forces you to select the drive to boot.

Enter BIOS and select the right drive to boot.
It’s not that it forces me to, I do it manually when my computer boots up. I manually choose my drive because if I don’t it’ll start doing disk repairs that never end up working (I get a message telling me to troubleshoot the problem with not being able to repair the drive)

USAFRet

Titan
It’s not that it forces me to, I do it manually when my computer boots up. I manually choose my drive because if I don’t it’ll start doing disk repairs that never end up working (I get a message telling me to troubleshoot the problem with not being able to repair the drive)
What was the last thing you did before this started?
What physical drives are in this system?