Question Have to reseat GPU every boot ?

stressato

Commendable
Dec 1, 2020
Hi. My gpu (MSI GTX 1050 2GB) started having problems around 5 days ago. Pc boots but no output to monitor, the integrated graphics works (and that’s a problem, since they only work when there’s no other gpu detected) everything else works tho. I plugged out the gpu and reseated it again, worked fine.
One day later, same problem and same fix.
2 days later, did that again and that didn’t solve the problem at first: I needed to wait 30 minutes with the gpu plugged out, then plug it again and finally worked.
Today (3 days later) I got the problem again, I plugged out the gpu for some minutes but the problem is just not solving. Pc boots, gpu fans spin, keyboard mouse and everything works fine, but the gpu doesn’t output to monitor; integrated graphics does.

i5-8400
H310M pro-m2
2x8 GB RAM Corsair 2667MHz
800W PSU

Any advice is appreciated.

Hi. My gpu (MSI GTX 1050 2GB) started having problems around 5 days ago. Pc boots but no output to monitor, the integrated graphics works (and that’s a problem, since they only work when there’s no other gpu detected) everything else works tho. I plugged out the gpu and reseated it again, worked fine.
One day later, same problem and same fix.
2 days later, did that again and that didn’t solve the problem at first: I needed to wait 30 minutes with the gpu plugged out, then plug it again and finally worked.
Today (3 days later) I got the problem again, I plugged out the gpu for some minutes but the problem is just not solving. Pc boots, gpu fans spin, keyboard mouse and everything works fine, but the gpu doesn’t output to monitor; integrated graphics does.

i5-8400
H310M pro-m2
2x8 GB RAM Corsair 2667MHz
800W PSU

Any advice is appreciated.
could you post a gpuz 1st page screenshot of your gpu here?

stressato

Commendable
Dec 1, 2020
Does it work if you boot into safe mode

I don't know when the problem appears, nor when it is resolved.
Today, for example, I woke up, turned on the pc and it didn't work, but last night it did. I removed the gpu, left it out for half an hour, put it back and now it works again. I don't think safe mode can change anything.

D

Deleted member 14196

How will you know until you tested? If it worked in safe mode then it means you probably got a driver issue or somethings wrong with windows. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is insanity

If it doesn’t work and save mode then you probably have some failing hardware. Go look at your reliability history and see what it tells you

stressato

Commendable
Dec 1, 2020
How will you know until you tested? If it worked in safe mode then it means you probably got a driver issue or somethings wrong with windows. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is insanity
If the gpu doesn't work, I can't just put the safe mode on. It doesn't provide an output.

D

Deleted member 14196

Maybe you could take it to a shop and have it tested or may be tested in a friends PC that has a spare PC

When it is working again you may try some kind of stress test on it and see what happens. Look at your event viewer logs or reliability history and see if there’s anything else going on

stressato

Commendable
Dec 1, 2020
Maybe you could take it to a shop and have it tested or may be tested in a friends PC that has a spare PC

When it is working again you may try some kind of stress test on it and see what happens. Look at your event viewer logs or reliability history and see if there’s anything else going on
As I said, after several minutes out of the slot the gpu starts working again. So if it doesn't work, the time to take it apart, take it to a store would be enough to get there and see it work just because it has spent time off the pc.

InvalidError

Titan
I cannot think of any good reason why the motherboard would randomly decide not to detect the GPU until the GPU got re-seated. There is no power whatsoever going to the x16 slot when the PC is off so electrically-speaking, there is no real difference between turning the PC off and removing the GPU.

I'd start with making sure the motherboard has the latest BIOS, maybe there has been some PCIe compatibility enhancements somewhere along the way between whatever is on there and latest.

D

Deleted member 14196

How are the temperatures inside your computer? have your checked

Also what is the make and model of the power supply and how old is it

stressato

Commendable
Dec 1, 2020
UPDATE:

The video card needs to be re-seated in the motherboard's PCI-E slot (re-seating) at every boot. If you don't, the dedicated video card (MSI GTX 1050 2GB) will not provide output to the monitor, giving priority to the processor's integrated video card.
But this procedure does not always work: in the last few days it doesn't.
If it works, it provides output to the monitor, then, if I connect an HDMI or a DisplayPort, the gpu will stop giving output to both monitors (black screen) and fans will go to 100%, forcing a reboot and no longer working (Now the gpu seems to be completely dead, and I'm not sure I can RMA it cause 3 years passed).

stressato

Commendable
Dec 1, 2020
SECOND UPDATE:

Yeah, it's been a month. I changed the 1050 with a 3060 and now it's working again.
1 more question, though, I got a "machpower" 800w psu - you can search it up on google, and I'm starting to get worried about it because it randomly shutted down some minutes ago.
Could the PSU be faulty? I also get a lot of noise from my PC (not fan noise) but that might be from my 3x HDDs.

SECOND UPDATE:

Yeah, it's been a month. I changed the 1050 with a 3060 and now it's working again.
1 more question, though, I got a "machpower" 800w psu - you can search it up on google, and I'm starting to get worried about it because it randomly shutted down some minutes ago.
Could the PSU be faulty? I also get a lot of noise from my PC (not fan noise) but that might be from my 3x HDDs.
yes it should be a psu faulty, i had a 1050 and a faulty cx550 after i know that my vs450 still could pass both furmark + aida fpu only, but cs couldn't, so i rma them. you better get a good psu.

InvalidError

Titan
I don't know who/what "machpower" is and it seems neither does Google. Assuming you spelled that correctly, I'd take that as a sign it may be a garbage-tier PSU that should be replaced on an expedited basis.

could you explain that more? you can benchmark a PSU with a software?
More of a stress-test than a benchmark.

Though what usually causes the most trouble in modern systems is fast transients: components switching between idle and full load within microseconds, heavily stressing the PSU's ability to keep voltages within specs against massive load swings.

stressato

Commendable
Dec 1, 2020
I don't know who/what "machpower" is and it seems neither does Google. Assuming you spelled that correctly, I'd take that as a sign it may be a garbage-tier PSU that should be replaced on an expedited basis.

More of a stress-test than a benchmark.

Though what usually causes the most trouble in modern systems is fast transients: components switching between idle and full load within microseconds, heavily stressing the PSU's ability to keep voltages within specs against massive load swings.
The pc was completely idle when he crashed, but it seems to be just fine now. By the way, that's my psu

ALIMENTATORE PC ATX 800W 24+4 PIN FULL CON. FAN 12cm SILENT - ATX & Micro ATX - Mach Power
PSU-800-SIL(datasheet) (machpower.it)

The pc was completely idle when he crashed, but it seems to be just fine now. By the way, that's my psu

ALIMENTATORE PC ATX 800W 24+4 PIN FULL CON. FAN 12cm SILENT - ATX & Micro ATX - Mach Power
PSU-800-SIL(datasheet) (machpower.it)
That thing, is not a PSU. It's a disaster waiting to happen. It says that it's 800w yet it only has one 6pin to power a gpu and that is unacceptable.

It's certainly garbage and I am surprised that it could power a 3060. Your 1050 might have been damaged by this PSU and your 3060 is next.

Since it only has a 6pin, how did you power the 3060 that needs an 8pin? Did you use an adapter? That's even worse...

TRENDING THREADS