Question Have to reseat GPU every boot ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stressato

Commendable
Dec 1, 2020
Hi. My gpu (MSI GTX 1050 2GB) started having problems around 5 days ago. Pc boots but no output to monitor, the integrated graphics works (and that’s a problem, since they only work when there’s no other gpu detected) everything else works tho. I plugged out the gpu and reseated it again, worked fine.
One day later, same problem and same fix.
2 days later, did that again and that didn’t solve the problem at first: I needed to wait 30 minutes with the gpu plugged out, then plug it again and finally worked.
Today (3 days later) I got the problem again, I plugged out the gpu for some minutes but the problem is just not solving. Pc boots, gpu fans spin, keyboard mouse and everything works fine, but the gpu doesn’t output to monitor; integrated graphics does.

i5-8400
H310M pro-m2
2x8 GB RAM Corsair 2667MHz
800W PSU

Any advice is appreciated.

InvalidError

Titan
In the HWInfo sensor list, look at the CPU and GPU performance limit reasons. For the CPU, it should be "Max Turbo" and for the GPU, it should be either "Utilization" or "Power" when everything is working normally.

Your "unstable fps" screenshot shows 100% GPU utilization. Unless something is limiting GPU performance, the only reason for that to happen is because you entered a more GPU-intensive section of the game or more GPU-intensive GFX are happening at that time. In that case, your only solution is to reduce graphics quality to keep peak GPU load below 100% when those happen.

stressato

Commendable
Dec 1, 2020
In the HWInfo sensor list, look at the CPU and GPU performance limit reasons. For the CPU, it should be "Max Turbo" and for the GPU, it should be either "Utilization" or "Power" when everything is working normally.

Your "unstable fps" screenshot shows 100% GPU utilization. Unless something is limiting GPU performance, the only reason for that to happen is because you entered a more GPU-intensive section of the game or more GPU-intensive GFX are happening at that time. In that case, your only solution is to reduce graphics quality to keep peak GPU load below 100% when those happen.

That could be the right solution for Apex, but this problem appeared in Valorant too, and Valorant is highly CPU bound, consuming 10% gpu and 1.1gb out of 12gb of vram.

For some STRANGE reason, Valorant support told me to uninstall Razer Synapse and Razer Cortex.. and that fixed the problem! I'm pretty confused right now, since I started using them some years ago, and they never caused any problems.

For now, I'm gonna give you the best answer again, and come back for any further problems haha, thanks.

stressato

Commendable
Dec 1, 2020
And here it is, I'm back.
Removing Razer Synapse and Cortex fixed the fps drop every 5 minutes, that's true, but the fps still remain much lower than average, on Apex at the end of October I had some stable 144 fps, but now, for some reason, I can't reach them more on almost no game and they're dropping.. do you recommend me to reset windows settings?
This time, I won't close the thread until it's completely fixed.
Btw.. on HWiNFO it shows, for the CPU, "IA: Max Turbo Limit: Yes | Yes | Yes", and, for the GPU, "Performance limit: Reliability Voltage: Yes | Yes | Yes | Yes" but I've read on reddit that’s just GPU Boost 3.0 working normally., and also, 60-70% of the times, Performance Limit - Power is also set to Yes.. @InvalidError.. so is it safe to set the power limit slider in afterburner to 100% and will it fix the problem?