Question Have to reseat GPU every boot ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stressato

Commendable
Dec 1, 2020
Hi. My gpu (MSI GTX 1050 2GB) started having problems around 5 days ago. Pc boots but no output to monitor, the integrated graphics works (and that’s a problem, since they only work when there’s no other gpu detected) everything else works tho. I plugged out the gpu and reseated it again, worked fine.
One day later, same problem and same fix.
2 days later, did that again and that didn’t solve the problem at first: I needed to wait 30 minutes with the gpu plugged out, then plug it again and finally worked.
Today (3 days later) I got the problem again, I plugged out the gpu for some minutes but the problem is just not solving. Pc boots, gpu fans spin, keyboard mouse and everything works fine, but the gpu doesn’t output to monitor; integrated graphics does.

i5-8400
H310M pro-m2
2x8 GB RAM Corsair 2667MHz
800W PSU

Any advice is appreciated.

stressato

Commendable
Dec 1, 2020
Quella cosa, non è una PSU. È un disastro in attesa di accadere. Dice che è 800w ma ha solo un 6pin per alimentare una gpu e questo è inaccettabile.

È certamente spazzatura e sono sorpreso che possa alimentare un 3060. Il tuo 1050 potrebbe essere stato danneggiato da questo alimentatore e il tuo 3060 è il prossimo.

Dal momento che ha solo un 6pin, come hai fatto ad alimentare il 3060 che ha bisogno di un 8pin? Hai usato un adattatore? È ancora peggio...

That thing, is not a PSU. It's a disaster waiting to happen. It says that it's 800w yet it only has one 6pin to power a gpu and that is unacceptable.

It's certainly garbage and I am surprised that it could power a 3060. Your 1050 might have been damaged by this PSU and your 3060 is next.

Since it only has a 6pin, how did you power the 3060 that needs an 8pin? Did you use an adapter? That's even worse...
I took the computer to a technician and he ordered a 3060, once it arrived he realized that the power supply needed an adapter and so he ordered it and I'm using it, and by the way the 3060 needs a 12 pin, not an 8.
I recently bought the 3060 so now I can't afford a PSU, is it okay if I get it in December anyway?

USAFRet

Titan
I took the computer to a technician and he ordered a 3060, once it arrived he realized that the power supply needed an adapter and so he ordered it and I'm using it, and by the way the 3060 needs a 12 pin, not an 8.
I recently bought the 3060 so now I can't afford a PSU, is it okay if I get it in December anyway?
With that PSU, I would not turn it on AT ALL.
With or without the new shiny 3060.

"adapters" just make it worse.

12pin is for founder's edition and all other makers use the standard 6 or 8pin. I assumed yours was from another brand. My bad.

Even without the adapter that PSU is not to be used with a discrete gpu. A technician that did not see what PSU you own and recommended an adapter for the PSU, is not a trustworthy or good technician.

You should NOT use the PC at all till you replace the PSU with a reliable one. Something like RMx650 or RMx750 will be a good choice.

stressato

Commendable
Dec 1, 2020
12pin is for founder's edition and all other makers use the standard 6 or 8pin. I assumed yours was from another brand. My bad.

Even without the adapter that PSU is not to be used with a discrete gpu. A technician that did not see what PSU you own and recommended an adapter for the PSU, is not a trustworthy or good technician.

You should NOT use the PC at all till you replace the PSU with a reliable one. Something like RMx650 or RMx750 will be a good choice.
They're €120. Something under €100? PSU is working fine for 2 years btw

InvalidError

Titan
Running a PC with an unknown or questionable quality PSU is like playing a proper game of Russian roulette. Your are very likely to run out of luck in short order.

At a glance, the cheapest PSU I saw in EU-land that I might use is the 65 euros 650W Seasonic S12-III. For around 20 extra, the EVGA G5/GD are also options and having 90+% efficiency under non-trivial load doesn't hurt either.

No.
An RMA (warranty) is for a manufacturers defect.
Not something YOU did...like using a substandard PSU.
Though they don't have any real way to tell for certain unless you volunteer extra details.

IMO though, the VRM should be rugged enough to survive most non-catastrophic PSU failures, especially the most common failure modes like bad output filtering since GPUs need tons of local bypassing just to compensate for wiring impedance already.

stressato

Commendable
Dec 1, 2020
Before changing my psu, I'll send my psu specs:

AC INPUT: 220V - 5A 50Hz
DC OUTPUT:
+3.3V - 28A
+5V - 30A
+12V - 45A
-12V - 0.5A
+5V SB - 2.5A

Can you guys double check that my psu is bad? Cause it seems fine to me.. @InvalidError

Before changing my psu, I'll send my psu specs:

AC INPUT: 220V - 5A 50Hz
DC OUTPUT:
+3.3V - 28A
+5V - 30A
+12V - 45A
-12V - 0.5A
+5V SB - 2.5A

Can you guys double check that my psu is bad? Cause it seems fine to me.. @InvalidError
Even without those specs the PSU is suspicious because there is NO REASON to have only one 6pin and claim to be 800w. Almost all 400+w have a 8pin which can deliver twice the wattage of a 6pin. Above 500w it's a certainty to have multiple 6/8pins.

But since you want us to comment on the specs... It's 540w (12v x 45A = 540w) and NOT 800w in reality and that is under ideal conditions. The fact that they lie about it's wattage makes it even worse to my eyes.

InvalidError

Titan
As dotas pointed out, the output specs make no sense for a remotely modern 800W PSU. Even my 650W PSU comes with 2x6+2 pins PCIe AUX cables.

In modern systems, practically all non-trivial loads are powered from 12V, so your PSU only being able to provide 540W on 12V already indicates that your PSU is at best based on an ancient design intended for PCs from 15+ years ago that leaned more heavily on 3.3V and 5V rails.

Immediately replace that PSU. Best case scenario, it works fine enough until it decides to slowly kill something plugged in, IE your GTX 1050. The higher power draw of the 3060 will only speed up the process of the PSU killing it. Worst case, because it is already likely faulty, it will completely fail very soon, and take the entire system with in, IE GPU, Mobo, CPU, RAM. That PSU might claim to be an 800W unit, but I have a hard time believing that. Get a high quality PSU, even a much lower wattage one. A good 500W will probably outperform a garbage 800W. I would recommend a 650W PSU is good for you to have plenty of headroom for the future, but you can probably go lower if you needed to.

stressato

Commendable
Dec 1, 2020
The PSU arrived, I mounted it and now I'm getting some fps drops on Apex Legends, like from 200 to 80/90. I only tested apex for now.

Oh, and I didn't use the pc with the old one cause a friend gently gave me a laptop for 2 days.

stressato

Commendable
Dec 1, 2020
re-installing the gpu at every boot got fixed with the 1050 -> 3060 swap, but I noticed I had a malware called IntelRapid.exe yesterday, and I think it was a miner, there’s not much information about it on google but I think removing it with malwarebytes fixed the fps spikes, and who knows, maybe that was also responsible for the crashes.

The miner was responsible for the fps drops but not the crashes. A miner wouldn't make a PC not being able to boot or power on and certainly would not care if you reseat your GPU. Those were certainly from the PSU.

How did you get the miner? Was anything pirated from a dodgy site?

stressato

Commendable
Dec 1, 2020
The miner was responsible for the fps drops but not the crashes. A miner wouldn't make a PC not being able to boot or power on and certainly would not care if you reseat your GPU. Those were certainly from the PSU.

How did you get the miner? Was anything pirated from a dodgy site?

Let's separate 3 issues:
  1. Have to reseat GPU every boot to make it work <= a thunderstorm fried the GPU, swapping it with a 3060 fixed the problem from the first days of October.
  2. PC randomly crashed, this happened 2 times, but it could also be caused by some work in the street, which caused the power to fail, I'm not sure but now that I have changed the power supply it doesn't happen anymore, so that's fixed too.
  3. After the PSU change, I'm getting some FPS drops. I then found out that I have malware yesterday, probably a miner, from the little information I found on google, which I removed with MalwareBytes, I am now trying Apex to see if the FPS drops are still here.
That means there's no link between the miner and the gpu reseat.

stressato

Commendable
Dec 1, 2020
And by the way, I'm still trying to figure out where the miner came from. The last file edit was on October 23rd, around 5:30 PM, and I had no browser history during that time. Only 1 hour before and 1 after.
Yes, I pirated RDR2 2 weeks ago so that could be the cause, I guess the miner spoofed his last edit time.

stressato

Commendable
Dec 1, 2020
Can confirm that the FPS drops are gone. So this thread was a combination of a fried GPU, a bad PSU and a mining malware.
Thanks to everyone who helped me, I'm gonna give the best answer to @InvalidError since he partecipated more, but each one of you helped me a lot.

stressato

Commendable
Dec 1, 2020
Hi, I'm reopening the question because I have another problem. Really, I'm starting to hate the world of gaming and PCs in general, or at least I consider myself really unlucky.
Since yesterday, as I said, I have another problem, I still don't understand how it works myself so I will try to be as precise as possible:

1. I open a game
  2. I play it for 5 minutes normally, the fps stays stuck at 144 and doesn't go down unless very rarely.
  3. At the end of those 5 minutes, the fps start dropping, from about 80 to 100, or in any case not stable, like a very precise stopwatch.

The first thing I thought of was a virus, so I started scanning - I tried Windows Defender, Malwarebytes and ESET nod32, but they found nothing.

The second thing was the temperatures: I tried Speccy, HWiNFO, HWMONITOR, and also the task manager for the gpu, but the temperatures are around 50-60 degrees and I don't think they are high.

So, now I'm here because I don't know what to think anymore. I am attaching screenshots that I think are very useful for the comparison between stable and unstable fps, together with the task manager and the side game.

Game on the left, task manager on the right
Unstable FPS graph
Stable FPS graph

Please, help me.