Have you bought a mechanical hard drive recently?

If you purchased a mechanical hard drive recently, can you take a moment to let me know why?

• Total voters

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Someone is buying.
Actually a lot of people are buying a lot of drives.
That is for sure.
I am also finding it very tough to find the good deals on drives any more.

I am not sure if prices will go down after Christmas.
usually when there is a shortage of something prices don't go down.
lets see if there are any specials on drives for black Friday.
that should give you an indication of what will happen after Christmas.

If anyone see's any good deals on drives please post here or pm me.

l0ckd0wn

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011

Looks like everyone.

I've purchased a number of drives, both for work an home, in the last 3 months:

Seagate Constellation - Great business grade drive that supports some extra functionality.

Hitachi Deskstar 5k3000 - A great consumer level drive that is ~5900 RPM that I've had no problems across 3x HDD in RAID 5.

Seagate Barracuda - Genearlly my go-to drive for basic applications (single HDD PCs, simple home RAID setups, extra storage drives).

WD Raptor - I really like the switch to the 2.5" form factor, even in the 3.5" casings, drives tend to be pretty durable and last long out out of the box, 10K big+

Back in late june early july area i bought a Seagate Goflex portable (750GB).... Although that was before the prices went up. $80 then vs the $100 to $140 right now...

Bought it to replace my 16Gb Patriot Xporter XT Boost as it was to small to hold all the iso's, apps, and files i need to carry around.

I got my last drive because it was required(Seagate 1TB to replace a failed set of 320's). $75 now its $150(payed less then that for my WDC Black 2TB. glad i got it before the flood. just before). I have picked those ones up for as little as $50. I will be holding off all un-needed HDD purchases for at least 6 months or more. Let them recover.

pnorman

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Purchased a 1 TB WD Black (I know, not a great drive, but it was on sale) to replace one showing errors in the array in my server. Turned out to be a bad cable, so I had an extra drive. Also purchased a Hitachi 7K1000 B revision and an Seagate ES.2 to expand the array. All 1 TB.

They must have a larger reserve of stock in warehouses then newegg. I know NCIX only held so many drives since prices changed often and they did not want to be stuck with too much old stock.

Still good to know i can get a cheaper drive if needed. But for how long....

runswindows95

Distinguished
I agree, nukemaster. After awhile, even the stores will either run out and/or jack up their prices. Right now, I wouldn't suggest to anyone to buy a new hard drive UNLESS they REALLY need a new one, such as a failure.

TRENDING THREADS